Saturday, June 16, 2012

Swallowed in Waves


Swallowed in Waves

There is something within me that you have cracked open
And it is laying there like a shell on the ground in pieces
Scattered and unfinished, opened and hovering in this expanse
Of time between the last second in which I saw you and now
All of this overflowing and each day I am drowning

All down in the beat of this clock like a drum beat that refuses
To stop a toll on this road that I keep each foot to proceed
Knowing a point will come in the break of these waves
And this board and this rise and these feet will stand and confide

My sanity in that moment of surfing on in to your beach
And break this ghost of a feeling from swallowing me in
This ocean of wait like pounds packed on in this haze
This mist out here like a shirt of why am I waiting

When I feel you there taking these seconds like payment
In a debt you didn’t realize that you had incurred until stepping away
With your feet to that curb, looking back not wanting to leave
Seeing me there, bracing this time like rolled-down sleeves

In Spring of a month when the cold is not supposed to come
But it is here like a breath from winter impossible to forget
That the only place that makes this go away is in my arms
And the bomb is disarmed and the threats lay to rest

That this swarm will swallow us both to forget
All of this cloud and sounds all in the time
That we do not wish to prolong as if we could fast forward the norms
Of these days and just sing in the chorus of that song that rang out in waves
Surfing on in on a lake, in a breeze into Spring, into May

Into the long sleeves of these words that we dared never say
Until this water knocked us over and I can not see how
You can stand in its power to try and wait out these minutes and bouts
With sanity and keep clarity, all of this clear of this now, all of this breaking

Out here in these sounds, that this is greater than either of us knew
On the precipice of all that ensues, pulsating in wait, swallowed in those waves
Drowning for Saturday like an albatross of some days
Between there and now and how are we possibly going to wait

No comments:

Post a Comment