Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Brushfire



Brushfire

Fawning and drowning in all these directions expounding
Wrapped on the head and falling to the treads
In the earth, scurrying the dirt, up, up and out
Flicking the flame about

Which way to go, I just want to say
Let my feet go that way
Do not hold me back
I will barter with faith in place

That these will not be steps that I will have to retrace
To get back here and start over
To put these uttered words back inside my stoic face
Shocked in awe that the girl that I saw

Smiling could turn these rivers winding
One way into a pretzel of answers
Turned and removed from all the council
Of the kindest hearts and squelch this spark

That is burning like a ravaging ravine
The landslide of brushfires gleam
Can be seen from miles away
Inside this valley I play with matches

Do not let me regret these scratches
At the box and on my arms,
To set myself on fire to go this far
I want to illuminate this for you

Light me up for the world to see
That I do not wish to be the former me
Ignorant and frowning in the cold of clouds forming
Blown away by these Santa Anna winds

Carry me up and carry me in
To the place where I can find rest in you
Scorched and saved and skin unfazed
Healed and sealed in the trickling waters of your fingers

No comments:

Post a Comment