Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fingers

Thirty-one years and I am here
I can count the number of women,
I have ever really kissed
Between my pinky and my ring finger
I have not even gotten to the middle
But this valley of skin in a V
From nail to nail is segregated by decades

This conundrum of connecting
Legs strutting and pressing down gas pedals
To propel steel shells over asphalt
And clouds of sound fluffing a dissonance

Of non introductions buffering a quilted silence
Wondering how so many others can at least
Find the plate to swing in triplicate and sit
And I am embarrassed at how few innings I have played

The human condition of yearning out
For skin and neurons to connect in synapse
Lightning bolts ablaze and it is contemplated
Out in the divergence of temporary appeasement

Decades of partnership stacked like a roadmap
Of pitfalls swung over and oasis picnics in the sun
Hanging on intentions with question mark hooks
Slung into a stupor in a dumbfounded panic

Quasimodo like a mutant, scarred and deformed
These limbs like numb nubs
Pawing at the bottom end of a doorway
Praying for entry and frustrated

With internal assumptions
Of why on a chain linked to my neck
Connected to thumping concrete instead of fingers

Gripping, leading and prompting to stand up straight
Connect with the partnered apex of her smile
And stay in these waters like empathetic caverns
Capable of understanding a life lived inside out

No comments:

Post a Comment