Wednesday, June 20, 2012

End of the Sentence



End of the Sentence

I feel like my eight year old self
Waiting for Christmas morning two days away
The notes are stashed and read in the quiet
Of my bedroom whispers to a man who isn’t listening

For the gifts to parade across the sky
And enter my little corner of the earth
To say that girls don’t come down chimneys
And the smoke is burning my hands

Every time I check to see if it is time yet
For the time to come, to burn this behind
The period to this other piece
The end of the sentence of this passing please

Hurry up and move the words of these prison bars
Out of the way for me to say I am aware of your isolation
Standing there somewhere else open to the movement
Of the clock and stop

Proliferating hope like a dwindling bar of soap
I keep taking showers and washing this impatience off of me
I want to be left clean with you and shed this soot
From the steps that I wandered through

To end this sentence and grow up in less
Than two days time to see that you are real
And not an illusion of my wish-list mind
Riding up there with reindeer and prayers

Hoping that the light will hold you there
To not melt in the sun, a mirage of one
Hope vaporizing in the morning
As I reach to hold your hand

No comments:

Post a Comment