Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cinderella in Reverse

Cinderella in Reverse

The lights, the pageantry of NOLA on tap, the river bending and midnight rendering
The still of these streets in faint orange glow of Bevolo’s handy work flickering
The wharf mouse skittering across this deck to the canopy of metal heading east to the Westbank
The mirror of Cinderella in reverse reflects off these waters onto me

I could be her prince for one-hundred and sixty-eight hour intervals straddled
Between changes in custody and this Chevrolet pumpkin and this single man boppity-boops back into A single father stitching and sewing and sweeping and growing a head of household alone
The moon light is not so luminous when horse drawn carriages end the flicks

Of hoofs on cobblestone for homework folders and clicks of mouse movements
To Catholic school websites about first grade classroom activities and bake sales
Roles transposed and torn inside out and what was, is not and what will be won’t
And I can see the despair draw in like dew drops as morning approaches on the lawns of her irises

Covering up in a haze of all she wants me to be, but I can not
Like every sad-sack princess stereotype imbued into the proliferating consciousness
Of hypnotized Disney prepubescent American girls she clings to a failed reality
That her dashing-dancing regal prince would extend his hand to offer a better than

And alas these dominoes have fallen prior to our meeting,
I can not offer her a virgin crash-course in adulthood
I have seen the steps of the Notre Dame, wedding bands
And being torch-hunted like Quasimodo in Esmeralda’s stare

I have set my faith in a candle’s flame floating on a lotus in prayer to a vagabond God
And watched a hurricane flip the wax into this river’s bed
Collected and correcting, new attire and projecting a wish upon these waters
For a woman like her to be the Christ in my life

Yet knowing this tuxedo shirt, it hurts; the neck size is too small,
The glass button is popping the stitch; I can not breathe or be the man she needs
This one story house in this Maurepas mire, is no castle with staff
It is a family of one, of sometimes two, hoping to grow

I can see the lackluster grin and mixed anger at the anchors of why I must be here
In this swamp stuck in the mud settled in the wars of my own tribulations
Finally at peace and we meet and yet the logistics of these Halloween pumpkin coaches
Shattered glass footwear and the assumptions of gender emote a dichotomy between

Kisses like pixie dust dreams floating in the temporal nature of fantasy
And responsibility transposing the majesty of a mortgage and reading bedtime stories
Knowing no one knows the background to these tales except for me
Some ever-afters are better left un-read

No comments:

Post a Comment