Thursday, October 11, 2012

The anomalies of America: how do you deal with me?

The anomalies of America: how do you deal with me? 

A girl, twelve, requires a night nurse,
Two-hundred doctor appointments annually
I have had six surgeries and estimate thirteen more
Before I hopefully reach twenty-five
Who pays for me? 

A boy seventeen, left high school at fourteen
Juvenile detention, minimum wage is trumped
By a tec-nine and white powder
Economic rum-runner, 1920’s prohibition hustler
A mirror of me shot me
Who teaches him that he is me? 

A mother, forty, instructs a class of thirty-six
In a classroom of scanned sheets, a rotten roof
Graffiti bathrooms with no toilet paper
Because it will just get dunked
The spectrum of intelligence quotients in my charge
Ranges from seventy-two to one hundred and twenty
Parents often do not respect what I do
Or the path to college, because it is foreign to their nomenclature
I am tenured, complacent and surrendered to the system by year eight
How do you inspire me? 

A father, fifty-six, bought a company, that bought a company
That was bought by a company and is now retired
The proceeds of years of work are dissipated into a package consolidated
Into the slimming recipe of humans required to bake a commensurate profit
Technology has framed a debate; if I can save money by lowering my costs
Using less people and sustain as an industry
Who keeps the difference?

A man, forty-six, worked twenty years in a factory
Replaced along with six coworkers by a man monitoring a system of robots
Compelled by a chip; trained to be a dinosaur
Too young to retire, wrinkled and fear-filled
That the world is a manipulation of the cerebral over the manual
What do I do with my hands? 

A boy, twenty-three, studied for four years is sixty-thousand in debt
To a combination of federal and private loans commencing a parade of interest
That will carry into my forties, I have searched for work in my field for two years
And am now employed at Best Buy, under the understanding that brick and mortar
Will be felled by amazon and overstock before my loans are repaid
Where do I fulfill my purpose? 

A preacher sixty-three, collects tithes in buckets at services
Promising burdens and bounty from a book written by men
Who claimed to know the men who could not read
I spend non-taxable cash streams on stadium seating
And a satellite feed to become schedule B itemized deductions
Is that building worth borrowing from China?
Who limits my definition of allowable expenditures? 

A son, eighteen, dead in Iraq blown to freedom
Mourned by a brother, my captain, twenty-five same company
Who saw me die, with his student loans paid, degreed
To stand on am amputated leg alongside
For every one of me, there are ten on the other side
Non-enlisted sand-people like a movie
How do we know when we are safe? 

A man fifty-seven, runs for office promises to cut taxes,
Keep all the programs that everyone likes, is pro-this and that
Cut spending on unspecified items, criticizes his opponent for specificity
Then acknowledges that in the future a magical ticket will  

Pay for the girl’s night nurse
Pay for the battalion of police to find a boy’s murderer
Pay for great teachers
Reduce a retired millionaire’s taxes
Find a job for humans amongst the robots
Have a boy’s parents pay off his college loans
Pay for a new bomber over post-traumatic stress disorder 

Oh the Eucharist of debate; the bounty of algebraic unknown variables
Math in formulas that supposedly balance, but neither acknowledge or
Confront the anomalies of the present like brushed waters to drown the future
What of us?

No comments:

Post a Comment