Thursday, October 11, 2012

Addicts

Addicts   

Seeing the pond without ripples
It was not the stone you found to throw
Or the logs I will never shed beneath
Their weight or algae growth smearing  

The bark, but not your hands
The maelstrom, the avalanche, the catapult
Submerge the rock absent suds
Or explanations for alligators 

None of the motions bear the permanence
Of the mid-morning afternoons of recounting
Phantom days, as if you tried to avert or assist
This depression that pulsates inside my wake  

I know I am misshapen, cloven foot and tar lung
Battling a will to remain alone, shed companionship
For the joys of estrangement; I am addicted to my alone
Sweet and sensuous, the rafters of solitude scale their arias
So magnificent  

Despite my drugs, I fought for us to persevere, to bond the burden
Of my urges with a slipstream of empathy for the limits I bring to pace
The slashed tires, the lockout, the sabotage and slander; I forgive
The idea that you fought for me, that you sought my therapy 

That there ever was a pause to see my well-being, as your well-being
I abhor the core of your bewitched humanity gasping for the crux
Of what makes love palpable by the masses of us sinners
Be still, be vibrant in the zeal of your phantasmal convictions  

So Republican affixed on an imaginary candidate
Preferable to invent the life we lived, rather than admit
My addictions were no match for your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment