Friday, October 19, 2012

Memories are Vampires 

I remember the cold lines that smell so humble now
Soaked in the kerosene of arrogance, burned my city to the sound
Of freedom sparked fireworks and celebration crowns
Outstanding corporate achievements, but I am so much younger now 

Burned in the ant hill, trying to assimilate, hungry to succeed
Finding an avenue, all I found was greed
Hours in the pipeline, what did the man then do
Cancelation of employment the whole world saw us sued 

Obstruction of justice, now who stands the fool?
The difference between ethics and a well legislated rule
I saw the bald head of Ebenezer Scrooge
Push a paper for a new job to salvage my manhood in a noose  

Yoke me to a gum tree, good-for-nothing balls
Spiked to a thorn bush, I saw the poverty stalls
Cattle in the pasture, hungrier then hell
Selling government water, only a tonic salesman can sell  

I saw the hug-boy housemates grinding in the back
I saw the ketamine stickers shoot up in the racks
Gunning for a first child; I put my faith in you
Storming on the back porch, I saw the path to choose 

Found a pink blanket knitted, softer than sheen
Hurricane waters brought us soaking to our knees
Had the sense for praying like a stratosphere of views
Who knew Texas would leave you crying to be a martyr for your youth 

Crouched up in the horse stall, bolting from a gate
Not the sense to run from the monster in the cage
Lay so sweetly to me; I hardly remember the phrases now
Crimped scuba tank-line, choking in a crowd 

Mothers keep on talking, no one sees the sight
Children convulse profusely, blockaded by the sunshine 

Grumbling like a gremlin, thrashing in your eyes
I saw the thunder rolling like a Garth Brooks song suicide
Country living grandeur, holy-holy hell
God came down before me and sold my soul to sell  

Talent for a dollar, modern-war exchange
You got my faith.  I got a payment plan for rage.
Brilliant politician; children on the take
I remember the cold lines and the Baltimore rain  

Perfect blue buildings shinning screens of smiles
I remember desk files and porches done with esoteric style
Daddy’s exercises, mother’s cigarettes
Placated arguments, smoking to a colloquial two-step  

Carving up the carcass in our room all by myself
I saw the floor boards melting like a bubble-footed hell
I put my face there, pasted to the planks
I saw the angels coming, looked like vampires with prison shanks 

Keep the house quiet, dormant like a deer
Keep the headlights high-beam, starring before the veer
Run-over dumbfound, man lay lame
Talking to the spirits of the oldest rooted names  

I saw children dying; I saw love gone suicide
I saw the lawyer monsters; I saw nowhere on the inside
I would let them eat me; if only for the end
Oblivion is better than having to remember you were once my friend  

I see the town on fire; like a candle of riot stemmed
Police came up with the shakedown to remind me who are friends
I saw my employer cut me from the ranks of the esteemed
I saw the wood-paneling slap me, keep me on my knees  

I tended to the garden, watered her to grow
Flowers bloom just long enough for her to know
Maybe daddy’s got to, find a soil home
Roots and transfusions, blood types can’t take the cold  

Vampire meals wandering, vagabond’s pursuit of truth
Always leaves one guessing at the fermented drunkenness of youth
She can keep her friends here, stitched all through the Earth
I will be a picture piped across a computer like a rocket man universe 

She can call my replacement, as if he were the word
I will do what I can to find soil for this worm
Aerate the break lines, where a normal man can breathe
Oh, here comes the flood, evacuate to the sunshine, see Icarus bear the bleeds 

I remember the cold lines that smell so humble now
Soaked in the kerosene of arrogance, burned my city to the sound
Of freedom sparked fireworks and celebration crowns
Outstanding corporate achievements, but I am so much younger now 

Now this new man gives me stories, a salesman on the move
Pimp for a monopoly, poor pockets for the dues
Never ending stories of always with the catch
Caught my dreamer dreaming rip out that monster’s breath  

Hope is for the heartfelt, those capable of love
I remember the cold lines, before the organ became none
Nothing but a blank space, no kindle for the hearth
No anger for the armies, just a logical scientific mark  

Romance for the childish, sniper-shot trapeze acrobats
Thud to the circus-floor for attempting hands would catch
Tigers eat the bodies cheaper than the bill
Funerals need attendees or a eulogist to spill  

Factoids or agendas, minutia for a sigh
Rather see the cauldron, incinerate clouded eyes
Memories are vampires stalking in the day
Promised weakness laughable, crucifix dismayed  

You can call me nameless, marching in the crowd
You can cut me shameless, about who killed the cows
Carnivore or Vegan titles don’t matter much
Blame is for the angels and they are with Santa in the months  

Of holiday obsession for you and redwood spruce
Held up in the attic with circumvented truths
I just want a restart, a reroute out this mess
I keep taking phone calls and fear sleeps with the stress  

My heart attack is coming; I know I will die young
Not because you hurt me, but because I cannot love 
Nothing will work in there, not a machine or an excuse
Nothing will deliver me another man’s youth  

Replace the wrinkles with another’s memories
These drain me daily like Cinderella at the ball
She had a man give her the pumpkin coach and rodent-steeds of four
Except before midnight tolled, royalty chose another before  

She even got there, like a transplant memory
I wish we never danced and I was lonely with my dreams
Then I could be alone; for the first time in years
Just me and my despair, my beautiful loneliness

No masochistic sashay partner or a beaded attic dress
Just nothing and no one and the potential for happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment