Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mess Hall

Mess Hall 

I was born broken, off
I acknowledge my humanity, interdependence
I am, however perpetually suspicious, skeptical
Of why anyone would find my presence beneficial 

I can see how others need others, but to view
These bones as something other than an anomaly
Or included in that which aspires or is capable of normal discourse
Has been all together shocking and preposterous 

Rear of a skull pressed to the intersecting walls
Of a corner of a mess hall, cafeteria of school children
Consuming lunch, I would rather depart than eat
The mathematics of the seating was disarming a bomb 

Only detonation was irrelevant, on occasion I watched
From the extending angles of the left wall, the right wall
The chairs, the milk bags, the sausage links
The candy bars and I was born with a disdain for chocolate
Even my taste-buds were anarchists 

The teeth, the acne, the halitosis, the fungus
The height, the soul, the writing, enrolled in pandemic poetry
Notebooks printing like images in a 3-D puzzle popping out
Only for me to view, the haze, the scuttle, the running for cookies 

I was still searching for water, the sand was everywhere
Never enough digging, my fingernails were falling out
The fungus was eating away the beds, Kurt Cobain was in my head
Nevermind, draw a picture, a crappy poem, blue carpet, nobody is home 

Thirty-four, feels like fourteen, twenty years and the numb has never left me
Even in the marriage, the sacrosanct, all an illusion, the decade in the tank
Lesson learned, never try, never attempt to convince anyone of anything
Homer said it best, “Trying is the first step towards failure.” 

Incapable, because the numb nothing has always been my something
The constant in the silence and it is my addiction and I will do anything
To retain my beloved, at this juncture it is my resolution, to remain till death
The most beautiful gift I could ever give, is to not have this virus spread
Like a contagion

No comments:

Post a Comment