Thursday, October 11, 2012

A note to myself



A note to myself:

I do not really want to move, because
Every place appears just as numbingly barren
New Orleans calls with promises
Of being mugged, shot, stabbed or cured

I am a man standing in the middle of traffic
Straight up like a cypress tree
Knotty and erect wading in a swamp
Peering at the passers by immune to the sludge

Cascading my ankles, it appears as hardened cement
For the voyagers, I constantly remind myself
I have options I can raise these knees
Step to the left or back to the right

Avoid this highway of numb
Choose either unknown
Part of me is trying to keep venturing left
To see my New Orleans back from beyond Ignatius’ wasteland

Fear clumps to my heart like caked mud
A crawfish hole towers for anything to claw its way out
In time, for a spring season only to be boiled alive
As if any of the colors will be promising

Back and forth faith undulates like the waves to a Grand Isle dock
Salt water oxidizing the implants in my skull
Android thinking placates my humanity slipping into an underground
Of roots, wandering roots stretching for a substance

Inside the current environment avoiding the reality
That walking out of here may only be a fantasy
It rains every afternoon in summer, the heat boils over
Humidity thick in the sky like a rice pot

The pressure burst my pod years ago, splat mush for carrion types to scour
Thoughts scurried like grubs and worms to wiggle under earth
But all I find is this cement hardened like a ceiling
Can not breathe when it rains, and it always rains

Pours like a fender to the face, a tire to the pectoral
So many crawfish should have never tried to cross the road

No comments:

Post a Comment