Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Phone Pigeon


I lost my cell phone like a pet
One moment the plastic computer pigeon was in my pocket
With pinioned wings and then it flew
Reached in to grab absence

Retraced my steps to the last routine interface
Every corner burned to ashes
The contacts in contract of lives touched and frayed
Holding photographs and links

Afraid the ghosts will come calling to call
And I will be left without a compass to code my communique
Loves meandered musings wanting to hold out hope
Knowing the platform to that train station was already gone

Tickets expired shredded in hands punching air
Exhausted from hoping the conductor would reevaluate profitable routes
Uncovering cushions and rummaging drawers for a semblance of self
Stored into a listing of cascading rain drops and the flower fears

Shortness of breath to be able to speak the words I hoped I would have the time
It all feels gone too soon like a blankness of Sundays
Of who might wish to listen if I could ever find the moment where I felt
It possible again behind all this silence

The months and years wrapping like pelted storm
Wet of face wrinkled dry to say, “I miss you.  Come back. I’m hurting.”
Hearing the syllables limpness the improbability
As if when I called you would even pick up the phone

Now I cannot even do that
I feel that bit more alone in the world
Like a boy without his blanket
Feeling the atheism seep back in


Wishing you knew how to call me  

No comments:

Post a Comment