Sunday, November 23, 2014

Job

I think I was supposed to live a monastic life
But religion tastes like a tar ball
My parents thought I was going to be a Catholic priest
When I was in high school

Because I did not go on many dates
I could count them on my fingers
Maybe two girls in four years
Neither was any kind of relationship

My best friend was gay
Maybe that confused the matter for them
didn't know, didn't matter
Either way I wrote

I filled notebooks, thought
Contemplated the whys
Still do
My only real relationship has been with the universe

I was married
Involved with another for four years after
But in my guts
It was always the universe

They, me, part of the same whole
Not puppets, but flow
Drawing me to meditate, dwell, see beyond
Low conversations, core, to the essence

Of what we are
The power of broken hearts and
Conversations in heads on pillows prior to slumber
Sexual release endorphins and tingling God

Asking me you have to be alone
To do what you need to do
Wondering how to accept
This is how I have to be

Like a monk, a priest, an imam, a rabbi
Without the storyline in an elaborating pamphlet
Maybe a bar room and urge to ponder
Wanting interconnection with a soul

Knowing all I got is this damn universe like an elephant
Whispering, you’re not done, you’re not done
Go get back to work
Smalltalk does not apply to your accessible assets

It’s forfeit; to go where you need to go
So grab a pen and scribble notes
Take a book for any gathering
Try to make sense of it; that’s your job


Not the one with the paycheck 

No comments:

Post a Comment