Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A Candle for

Keep looking, searching, peering in
That window with the candle
Close my eyes and feel the flame through the skin
The satin sheers and wooden rocking chair

Empty and open wax melting in the exhausted dusk
Night bursting like a speeder rushing from the police
To a foreign border always in the moment of the dance
Slip a foot like droplet pearls off the tongue

Into the haze of words I wish you were there to listen
Like the howl of a dog leashed and penned
Waiting to urinate till dawn to get the water out
Not on the garage floor but out in the grass

The yank, the pipes pressed flow for the horrible sunshine
To make the candle wash in uselessness
Wanting to be alone in that alcove with the flame
Smiling talking until morning ruins the whispers

Of bed sheets and scaled fevers
Knowing a body has to run the garden will wither
In this darkness attempting to be something other than it is
A place where others find habitat

You and me could talk for a while like geriatric bench folk
Knowing how sentences finish as the swirl of the beginning is so familiar
Like a man along the watchtower knowing the exact point
The invader will peak from the tree line

That if I ever knew you so well you would not come round
As my intuition would be like a weapon an inferno and the scorch
Would just destroy the memories of freedom and banter
Claw my eyes out like a terrible tale of what I never was

Never could be because I knew you too well
For comfort and that space to go running would always seem
Like you could be caught and you don’t want to be caught
So I peel away into the night and day darkness and lightness

Blending as if all this conversation were nothingness
Hoping you wanted substance someday, sometime to show me
Why and who you are or were on your terms
Knowing that candle sits in the window like a flame never lit before 

No comments:

Post a Comment