Sunday, December 2, 2012

Ch 14 Part 1 - Rumpelstiltskin Contracts


 Back to Chapter 13 part 2

Chapter Fourteen – Rumpelstiltskin Contracts - Part 1

423
I exited the courtroom zealous and pensive.  I picked up Penelope from Montessori school.  We Bakers had a mini-reunion at the rental.  Pa Pa Timothy and Penelope played a find the raisin under the bottle cap three-card-Monty game.  We huddled in Penelope’s play area in a halo of smiles over Penelope’s ignorant innocence.

The property was not settled.  December 15, 2009, brewed as a three hundred and sixty-five day Louisiana requirement cirrus cloud to file for official divorce.  Ashley was adamant about the legal mathematic mandates for segregated roofs from inception. 

I was free.  My greatest fear was averted.  I had pavers to the driveway and a map of papers based on a judicial decree.  Tuesday was our day forever. 

Court was the cornerstone of our under-construction life.  The ramifications had only a tangential impact on Penelope.  Tuesday evening was as Tuesday morning.  I fought for a Houdini-dexterity to manifest continuity.  The Nottoway audience saw an object floating.  Given rudimentary comprehension of Newton’s laws, the crowd saw gravity defy the polarity of North and South.  The domestic flock sat in frazzled awe.

My immediate task was to traverse each day with the same result, absent the energy required.  Maybe I could develop a perpetual motion machine of man based on magnets.  North repels north.  South repels south.  Maybe I could use the opposing attractions and incestuous repulsions to spin in a cyclone.  I could alternate my repulsion from Ashley with my pull towards Penelope to find a balance to fuel survival in Nottoway. 

424
However arduous the trial was, the aftermath from Ashley was worse.  Ashley’s ferocity in the post-war landscape was powered by a petulant disdain.  The outcome forced upon Ashley by the judge was an extension of my punishment to Penelope.  Ethan made the judge do this. 

I poked the hornet’s nest of an infallible Nottoway Pharaoh’s daughter.  Wrath was riding the wind.  Hail ho, the eleventh plague, what happens when the first born lives?  Ashley placed her father’s golden cross necklace around Penelope’s throat and told her she could never take it off.  Bath time, bedtime, school: the collar was set like a blinking-dot constant reminder of where I was and who “owned” who.

425
My life continued in slalom.  During a fit Penelope threw our egg-white belled kitchen-timer I got for time outs against the carpet.  Penelope loved Rafi’s Joshua Giraffe and Laurie Berkner’s Goldfish song in my car.  We were progressing in undulation.

Penelope and I got a library book on prehistoric times displaying human evolution from Cro-Magnon, Homo sapiens to early man.  We had a conversation about how people evolved from a common ancestor with apes.  Our evolution led us to travel more standing up and on the ground.  Apes moved on to live more in trees.  Sons of Adam waited for English.

I talked to Penelope about how we developed a thumb and the ability to use tools.  The library book had a walking-chart of our evolution.  I proposed a perspective to Penelope about how our bodies evolved over millions of years.  Discussions like these were about exposure, not for retained assessed knowledge, but for encouraging questions. 

I tried to pull out age-appropriate kernels of thought.  What was above a child’s head was above, but interest often transforms the line of learning form work to play.  Penelope was interested in dinosaurs and asked, “When did humans come around?” The question linked into her brain.  I tried to feed interest with exposure for interconnections in the one everything, not scholastic ramifications. 

One night, I had a bit of a runny nose.  When we were getting ready for bath time Penelope told me how she told her friend at school, “The snot is like a net that catches the germs so they don’t stay in your body.  You have to blow your nose to get the germs out.”  Maybe what I exposed Penelope to did resonate.  We read a kid’s book on germs and microorganisms a couple of weeks before.  I was not trying to raise Einstein, just a daughter growing to be conscious of our interconnected and mutually-flawed world focused on critical thinking rather than rhetoric. 

426
On October 6, 2009, I was cuddling with Penelope.  After we read our stories, Penelope said, “Mommy told me, daddy only pretends to love me.”  I was quiet for a minute.

I knew we just went through the trial.  Ashley had her unsolicited education on the judge in some other bedtime-story denominator.  I said, “I love you. Your mommy loves you.  Believe what you see and feel.”  I gave Penelope a look in her eyes and hug that I hoped could translate past a generation and five-year-old homo sapien brainwaves to communicate a sentence that goes so far beyond syllables.

The following morning at breakfast Penelope recounted a conversation Penelope had with her Oma.  Penelope was excited about displaying Oma’s Delftware baubles from Holland at show and tell.  Penelope said that Oma told her, “When Daddy is being angry or yelling.  The judge makes you go with daddy.  Pretend that this pillow is the judge and you can hit the pillow.” 

I was starting to look at homes to buy.  Ashley had deferred settling the property stuff until after the custody.  I could contemplate the number of chain links on my anchor.

Ashley sent me an email about the when and where for a dance class Ashley unilaterally signed Penelope to attend.  This schedule was on Wednesday nights.  Each week Penelope would rotate between mom and dad.  I had two days.  I scrambled for a leotard, tap shoes, and ballerina slippers.  I was pretty-pink out of my color spectrum.  I found a dance skirt and a kitten bag to carry the shoes during my lunch hour.  I sequestered a pony tail into this kangaroo-pouch fake hair-bun contraption the clerk sold me. 

Penelope and I just made it to five-thirty practice after work.  I sat in the waiting area reading a Frankl book, “An Unconscious God.”  The trophies, costumes and dance-mom bulletin-board pinterest ballerina-guinea-pig material paraded.  Feathers, rhinestones, mascara; there must be attic bins for this bulimia of esteem-trophies.  Risqué, crazy schedules makeup cases, gloss, brushes, back-up pairs of eyelashes, earrings; mom’s ordered Pizza Hut after, no time to eat dinner together, siblings did homework on the floor.  I made pasta with Manda Sausage when we got home.  Guess it could be football or baseball.  Who am I to judge, this was dance season one.

427
October 10, 2009, on Saturday night Penelope and I watched the movie Babe to end the evening before bedtime.  About the two-minute warning I told Penelope, “When the movie is over it is bath time.”  Penelope wanted to view all of the credits.

I pushed the line back for the credits.  Penelope pushed further.  The first credit song scroll was not enough.  Penelope kicked her legs and screamed.  Penelope started to swing punches.  I spoke, “Calm down.  Hitting hurts.”

Two days later on Monday, I was making chicken fajitas for dinner.  I rented Penelope a library movie called “Witches in Stitches.”  One witch gets turned into a talking pumpkin for Halloween.  Penelope found the hexed-gourd humorous.  We watched the thirty minute opus the previous Tuesday.  We made a fort out of two kitchen chairs, a green blanket and the sofa as our cuddle theater.

Penelope wanted a predicable repeat showing.  I needed time to make dinner.  The five-year-old world was not willing to wait.  I tried deflection.  Then I ignored the curtain-cat calls for immediate gratification.

Penelope kicked her legs on the ground to convert me from chef to construction worker.  I said, “Be patient.  Use big-girl words to get what you wanted.  Throwing fits never works.”  Penelope pushed, hit and screamed. Penelope’s temper was lost in an overstuffed dryer lint-trap.  Penelope had used up her warning.  I put her in time-out.  Penelope kept swinging and telling me, “No” 

I tried so hard to try to teach Penelope skills to help her to de-escalate herself.  I felt like the battle of court was over, but the victims were still under the guise of war.  Juneteenth had yet to happen in Texas.

After my rations were exhausted, I closed Penelope in her room.  I held the knob, as if we were at the porch-house bathroom and Ashley was crying with me.  I imagined if Ashley saw this scene.  Ashley would twist every molecule of blood out of this towel to contort the whys and how’s of this moment to rationalize why I should not be permitted to be Penelope’s father.  How many miles can a shark smell a drop of plasma?  I was a parent pushed, calm, but still holding that doorknob. 

I hoped for a reprieve as if everything in Penelope’s angst could be allocated to my sophomoric schoolyard failures.  Ashley’s judgment careened cannonballs in the sides of my ship everyday attempting to navigate these waters.  I had to stay off radar.

I read, How to Behave So Your Preschooler Will, Too, Girls! Helping Your Little Girl Become an Extraordinary Woman, The Complete Single Father, The Everything Parent’s Guide to Raising Girls, and a slew of John Gray books.  Where was the answer to how to respond to what was on the other side of that dogmatic doorknob?

I opened the door.  Penelope screamed and covered her ears over any sound that emanated from my lips.  I was patient.  I knew there was more to this outburst than blanket-forts or movie credits. 

Penelope kicked the door so hard the smoke detector fell off the wall.  Penelope screamed out, “I hate you daddy.”  I knew this was not about heroes or villains, fantasies or nightmares.  This was adult-life in an unfair cataclysm with a child’s frustrated-perplexed heart. 

428
On the inside sometimes I was worried about having to be as perfect as Ashley purported to be, to play her game.  Hare against my tortoise five-foot smidgen legs; I was tired.  There was no margin for error.  What if I forgot what calendar day it was, just once? 

Why did I care so much if Ashley likes me or if we can be friends or make peace?  How can any measure of self-worth be wrapped up in that chaotic contradictory bullshit burrito?  I was disappointed in myself. 

I went into Penelope’s room and sat down on the ground.  Penelope scampered into the closet to hide like a bunny in a form.  Penelope was on the descending side of the hill.  I told Penelope, “I love you.  You don’t need to be scared of daddy.  Daddy is here to help you, teach you, and love you.  Are you angry?”  Penelope shook her head yes.  “Why are you angry?” 

Penelope said, “Because you and mommy are separated.  I don’t like it here.  It’s all different.”  I asked Penelope, “Do you know why mommy and daddy separated?”  Penelope said, “No.”  I asked, “Do you want to know?” Penelope said, “Yes, can we talk about it during bath time?”  I said, “Sure,” and picked Penelope up in my arms and held her in my sway for two minutes.

429
I was getting the train back on the tracks.  We started our bath routine.  While I was filling the tub I sat with Penelope in my lap.  I told her the outline of the story about December 15th in a way I thought was age appropriate. 

I told Penelope, “On the Sunday after we played in the snow daddy got a phone call from mommy.  Mommy told daddy that we needed to talk.  I asked mommy what was going on and if we could talk.  Mommy said we could talk after work the next day.  The next day Daddy came home from work and the house was empty.  Daddy was all by himself. 

Then mommy came home and said, “I brought Penelope to Oma’s house so we could talk.”  Mommy told daddy that she did not want to be married to daddy anymore and that she wanted to be separated.  Mommy said daddy could either go to a hotel and leave or mommy was going to go over to Oma’s house, but that mommy and daddy would not live together anymore. 

I told Penelope, “Daddy did not understand exactly why, only it was that mommy just wanted to live in a house without daddy.  She still wanted to live with you.  This was not your fault.  This was between your mom and me.”  I do not know if it gave Penelope anymore answers to help or not. 

Right after Penelope asked me to make up a story.  I put Penelope in the bath.  I made up a story about a magic portal through a closet where a little girl went to a magical world.  I used hand motions surfing bath toys.  Birds picked the little girl up and put her on a whale.  The whale was going to eat her, but the little girl’s daddy followed through the magical world. 

The daddy ran super fast on top the water and saved the girl when she got on his shoulders.  The daddy picked up the whale with his hands while standing on the water and chucked the whale into the sun.  Then the daddy and little girl ran back to the beach.  The girl pulled out a magical flute.  A door appeared.  They went through the door and were back at home. 

Penelope apparently wanted to change the subject to some imaginary fun and let the real story of her life sink into her background-thoughts. Penelope was five.  Penelope was capable of understanding pieces and what context I could put it in was a moving target.  I just tried to be me and go with my gut.

At bedtime we read our stories.  One was about a bear going to sleep in a cave and he kept asking for lanterns.  We cuddled and went to sleep.  Penelope told me she loved me.  We prayed our goodnight “Our Father.”

430
Penelope was caught in this middle.  Ashley attributed Penelope’s fits to me.  There was no duality.  Whatever tantrums occurred in Penelope’s other-world were probably either placated by ice cream cones, McDonald’s drive-through toys and cartoon-afternoons or allocated to me.  Ashley could not fathom how Penelope could yearn for that which Penelope knew when it was the totality of a man Ashley was rejecting.  To consider such canards was political suicide.  Ashley was spewing such a compendium of scandalous propaganda within her clan.  Exposure could kill votes.  A kindergartener’s deliberations were clearly apparitions of contemplation. 

October 20, 2009, we read books on the sofa.  I made red beans and rice.  I mixed orange juice with tropical punch Kool Aid and put a Halloween pumpkin straw.  Penelope made up Halloween names for all the food.  The sausage was a snake.  Beans were bugs.  Drink was witch’s brew.  We played “Guess Who.”  Penelope lost one of her front teeth the day before she arrived. 

That morning in my car Penelope said, “I love you daddy.”  I told her, “I love you too sweetheart.”  Penelope said, “I like when you call me sweetheart.”  We sang “Aiken Drum” from our Rafi CD about a guy whose face is made of spaghetti and pizza and cheese.  Penelope was turning a corner. 

431
I stated to look at houses on the weekends Penelope was with Ashley.  I had previously prepared all the computations and papers, but Ashley had still not committed to moving forward with the property settlement. 

October 24, 2009, I picked Penelope up from the porch-house at nine a.m. in my biweekly revisit ritual of sublimation.  Driving up to the house was intimidating in its wide girth.  The house was built catty-corner in the curve with the porch stretching from left to right with the height of the four second-story dormers and the tower window in the center.  The estate expanded to the right with the drive to the three-car garage. 

Penelope seemed sad and wanted to stay with Ashley.  Penelope cried and clung.  Jeffery and Hilton’s trucks stood sentry like gargoyles.  Hilton was in the background for every Saturday exchange like a hired security witness mowing grass or drinking in the kitchen even with the court date behind us.

I gave Penelope space and spoke succinctly.  I wanted to eliminate these transitions on Ashley’s porch and pick Penelope up after school on Friday afternoons.  After court and the rants on Magic Card Fridays I was still pulling into that driveway twice a month.

Ashley, Penelope and I sat on the porch bench outside the Dutch door as a three of us with Penelope as the peanut butter.  We talked to Penelope together.  Ashley held Penelope who cried in trickles.  Penelope said, “I don’t want to go.”  Ashley carped, “Am I going to have to put her in the car-seat crying again?”  I said, “I am not in any hurry.  We will wait until she’s ready.”  Ashley enacted her own recusal inside.  Penelope followed like a gosling.

I sat in silence.  Jeffery came out and said, “I don’t see how going back and forth from house to house is good for a kid.  If it were up to me that kid would be in one house all the time.  I don’t understand that judge.  This is crazy.” 

Penelope was right inside.  Jeffery started talking about his fantasy football team.  A few years ago when the Patriots went undefeated I guided Jeffery to a championship with all his friends in a willful neglect of my own progeny according to Ashley.  Those days were gone.  I was not in the mood.

Ashley stood with Penelope in the mudroom mini-hallway leading to the Dutch door.  I over heard Penelope say, “You and daddy were talking. I want you and daddy to talk so you can get married again.”  Ashley did not say anything. 

432
The concept of Ashley verbalizing that her decisions had hurt Penelope’s feelings was like trying to explain that Cro-Magnon timeline to a Garden of Eden enthusiast.  Ashley was blind to see the reason Penelope was crying had more to do with a five-year-old grasping the one little picture window of time where she got to see both her parent’s in the same place again.  Penelope was stretching the experience out in whatever manner she could find to prolong her parent’s comingled presence. 

The rationale in our stage of post-parental separation evolution was completely obvious to me.  To Ashley, the evil judge was forcing Penelope to spend time with her cold-hearted daddy.  The court railroad derailed. 

I sat on the bench.  Ashley remained in the kitchen.  Penelope was in the intermediate mudroom by herself and said, “Ah a roach!”  I quietly walked over and said, “Daddy is good at getting rid of those, can I see?”  It was a pretend rubber Halloween roach.  I joked with Penelope, “You give me a hug and I’ll get rid of the bug.”  Ashley came over and offered Penelope a trick or treat glow stick.  We were ready to go.  There was no screaming or crying just walking over to my car and on with our life.  Wealthy house, a loved child; why invent problems?

433
Penelope and I went to the Berry Town produce stand.  We bought kiwis and cucumbers.  Penelope helped scoop fresh peanuts in the shells.  We picked out two little Halloween pumpkins and painted on faces.  Penelope named hers Pirate because he ended up with only one eye after Penelope painted over one.  We named mine Monster Glasses. 

We went to the shoe store.  Penelope really wanted some high-heels to wear on weekends.  Penelope was trapped in a Catholic school uniform all week.  Ashley had purchased iCarley and Hanna Montana-heels to go along with the karaoke machine. 

I felt like girls have it rough enough in this world with so many misguided messages about body image and being overly sexualized.  Penelope was five.  I did not want Penelope bombarded with tween images.  Save the lip-gloss bullets for a while.  I wanted to give Penelope every measure of self-confidence. 

The eight to ten version of Penelope would face twenty-five year olds playing high school students.  I wanted that tween soldier to have the tools to assert her own desexualized level-headed self-determination.  Miley Cyrus was clearly not the ideal starting paver for such as path.  Beware of the hourglass single-parented princesses.

I tried to be as honest and as age appropriate with Penelope as possible.  I felt like the images of shows like Hanna Montana were more confusing between real and pretend than Looney Toons or Scooby Doo.  Distorted body images and compromised in teenage-boy intelligences were more damaging to some girls then rated-R movies.  Lobotomized social adaptation could manipulate kids into a homogenized thought-process. 

The shows may be fine if they can use a small-dose perspective to have fun with, but Penelope was five with enough mess to deal with besides the Justin Beiber and Diva birthday party invitations her school friends sent.  We certainly did not watch or listen to that gum in our house.  I already had Penelope tell me more than once her tummy was too big at bath time.  I could only control so much of what was in her environment.  I had to give Penelope tools for her box.  We got low white high-heels with no characters for now.

434
For my birthday at the end of October, Tim and my parents came over for dinner.  My mom was down because her best friend finally succumbed to ALS.  I use to babysit her friend’s kids in high school.  Years of watching an origami body fold in on itself, now young adults with no mother.

When Penelope was playing, I told them about Penelope telling me that Ashley said that I only pretended to love her.  Happy birthday to me; my mom made a blueberry cake.  

435
November 14, 2009, Penelope and I had a daddy-daughter date to see the movie “Where the Wild Things Are.”  We had read the book from the library.  Max acts out at home.  His parents are divorced.  Max’s big sister is moving to adolescence while Max is still building snow forts.  Max feels lost and ignored.  Max runs off and takes a sailboat to a magical land of the Wild Things where the characters parallel emotions inside Max and people in his life, his dad, his mom, and his missing friends.

Ultimately Max tries to teach his friend Carol how to control his emotions and express him self.  Carol hits and throws tantrums and does not know how to talk about what he is feeling with one of the female wild things. 

I remembered playing with Penelope in the backyard of the porch-house in the far rear left corner where sixteen-foot tall bamboo grew.  We played superhero pandas, wizards or different characters like Supergirl and Spiderman, but pandas were our favorite.  When Penelope and I built snowmen was the last time I felt like we were a family.

I wanted simplicity back.  I wanted Penelope not to have to splice me off into a corner of her life where Penelope had to push her mom out to fit me in an either or life.  Help Soren.

I saw myself exposed to Penelope in a way most kids never see their parents as people.  Parents are supposed to be absolutes who always know.  Penelope was not supposed to see me vulnerable.  I did my best to conceal with a daddy-do-all face.  Mommy was perfect to Penelope.  I swallowed pride-sucking bitter tastes too often to do what I knew was best for Penelope.  That including trying to not love her mother.

Shattered Snowflakes 

White-bread ignorance bleeds in red like vampire tears huddled in a sequestered corner of bamboo.  Sunlight is abandoned for a starved core.  The skeletal-flesh wastes in mirror-only sight.  Explanations shiver for daylight like medicine of afterthoughts bottled-up in a winery for soured grapes and maple leaves. 

December is coming.  Naked trees, pale-sap will drip from an aperture sticky and as open as a nude city bustling with faces like snowflakes.  The light is attached to a little girl’s burned-up matchsticks incinerated in stories strewn about the sidewalk in pick-up sticks.

Shedding leaves rumble with tumbleweed speed, bowling balls of clogged-up emotional drainpipes, determined like Rochambeau finding logic in the inane.  Icicles grow like whiskers on a porch-home trickling drip-of-water questions to try on new outfits for skinny-dipping in thirty below.

Frost breaks heated-step traps snaring spring in ice-cold roots in stolen bamboo forests.  Pandas prowl like super heroes on patrol in magic unfurled in flags. 

Painted bears fall from the sky with frayed thread capes.  The satellite of what might have been disappears with the rotation.  Meteors can not mention the turning planet like a magnet of attrition. 

436
In late November, I started to get blood pumping pains lurking in my skull.  The first came like a cobra strike after working out lifting free-weights.  Another slither swashed my bloodstream again the next day.  The blood swelled and my heart rate elevated as I got dizzy and faint.  I scheduled an MRI on my brain. 

Maybe it was stress.  My cerebellum felt like a porcupine in a Ziploc bag with quills rocketing off like New Years Eve.  During the MRI I sat completely still in a tube on a flat stretcher for fifteen minutes.  The technician told me the neurologist saw something.  The tech put a die in my blood stream to show contrast in the brain for a second scan. 

Thoughts subway-trained through my cranium.  It could be brain cancer.  Was this some aneurism elevating up the system’s core with the pipes wheezing and joints whistling?  Was there some random bolt popped like a singed kernel evacuating the plant for the five o’clock buzzer needing down time, out of control and patience melting?

I could just need some medicine, brain surgery.  I might die to the butcher knife in my utensil drawer.  I might not get to be there for Penelope.  Whatever it was I would face the pulse.  I would manage what I can control and not try to be in fear of what I can not. 

Two weeks later I got the results of the MRI.  I was deemed normal.  There was nothing organic causing the headaches.  Involuntary Vegovagal still lurked.  I also got a prostate exam for extra precaution.  Fingers up an ass, pike in a skull; both ends were no answer. 

When I was younger, my father perpetually reminded me how the size of my head was problematic to the hedonistic carnal geometry of his marital dynamic.  I could only extrapolate these mathematics to society at large.  If I did that when entering the world, what would I do with the contents of my skull once set loose?  



437
                Email to Ashley November 10, 2009
I am trying to move on with my life.  I have diminishing hopes that I will be able to set up a new home for Penelope and I by Christmas, because of your lack of response regarding the settlement of our property issues.  The prolonged timeframe has postponed the sense of potential closure such a transition would provide.  From the limited discussions we have had regarding the dissolution of our marriage and the evolving environment we have created for our daughter since the enactment of that cessation, I thought we could at minimum agree that once the custody agreement was made whether by our mutual agreement or by judicial decree that we would allow each other the liberation to move on with our lives.
I know we do not talk.  We do not converse on a level other than the imaginary, mandatory, superficial, or regarding our genuine mutual love and concern for our daughter.  You know I never wanted to get divorced.  All my pleas intended as cotton-swabs came across as arrow-points.  My words even now feel as futile as the fingers of a wave across Gibraltar.  There are pieces that I have resigned in my heart that I may never understand or be able to mend completely.  I know that this is what you want.  So I have let you go to live as you wish.  Please let me do the same.  Sincerely, Ethan
Ashley only responded with an email, “I assure you my attorney is working on this,” and “We have a trip planned to Breckenridge Colorado.” 
A few weeks turned around.  My attorney Martha received a message from Trunchbull,

Ms. Baker believes at some point Mr. Baker will move, since he is renting the house in which he now resides.  She does not want to be traveling lots of miles to exchange Penelope should he chose to move to New Orleans, or elsewhere.

I just kept waiting for that letter or message from my attorney when Ashley was going to move out of the porch-house and back in with her parents and foot me with half the mortgage while we attempted to sell the porch-house on top of my rental.  The money just was not there to try to sell that albatross-Tara.  I was married to the only Scrooge McDuck with a gold-coin swimming pool vagina in Nottoway.

438
The next email I got from Ashley came from Ashley Hingle at Gmail instead of Ashley Baker.  Nonchalant and business-like, my surname lost its application to correlate with its long-time inapplicability.  I imagined Hilton ecstatic to have his claim re-intact, printing up placards and business cards to hand out at funerals and birthdays.  My iconoclastic taint and crust was finally removed like burnt pastry flecks on an otherwise scrumptious éclair.  So Ashley left my name like her wedding ring.

The months before Ashley left I use to frequently find her ring by the kitchen garbage-disposal maw.  Ashley would go to work without the circle.  Ashley would take the band off when she gave Penelope a bath.  I did all the dishes. 

In September of 2008, Ashley tore up the house looking for her ring like a coin in a Bible story.  Ashley even called my mother contemplating the finger-halo’s placement in my parent’s home from a recent visit.  Ashley found the diamond in the side pocket of her purse.  After the separation, I found the trinket in the little plaster dish Penelope made at Montessori school next to the kitchen sink where the bauble had bedded-down so many innocuous nights before.

439
November 29, 2009, the anniversary of the separation was approaching.  I felt lonely, but I wanted to say goodbye to my marriage.  I wrote a letter and left the allocution in the mailbox of the porch-house with the Christmas garland draping the railings.

Ashley, it has been months tip-toeing to a year.  This feeling still throbs like a dull welt, like a chest thud reverberating until clarity can steady the vibrations.  Clarity’s only chance may be forgetfulness.  I do not have any misconceptions of our resigned inevitability, but hope is like the frayed fibers of a rope I wish you were still on the other end of despite how long ago I know you have let go. 

You broke my heart.  I have a pain in me like shrapnel ghosts.  Gray hairs part.  I feel like Quasimodo.  All these knee-scars no longer stretch in symmetry.  I do not know what to believe about the syllables like raindrops from your lips over our decade.  They mattered to me.  Despite how much my brain wants to point out the mirage like a field guide, my heart wants to touch them like a doubting Thomas to see that the rain-words were real during their descent.

Where is the girl who shared her heart with me on that green sofa; that knelt on those gray stones to pick up a roll of film and held me for the world to see?  

My pride sits as love’s discard.  My wash of letters and emails are words spoken to your empty pillow.  Our rings bed in a nightstand.  Bastille Day has no pause. 

How could I have mattered so little to be discarded like a gum wrapper?  You jettisoned hope like paper money on a crashing plane over open waters?  I know I am not the man of your dreams, but I loved you.  I was kind.  I never wanted you to hurt.  I still do not now, but it is like I was just supposed to shut it off one day.

You told me I should have known or seen the iceberg in the water.  I did not.  I was supposed to be angry.  I felt like a lost Labrador begging for a chance to mend. 

I could once call you wifee.  I want you to move on to live a happy life, but it is like I never got to tell wifee goodbye, to me that is who you were.  I do not know what to make of myself, of my future, of the thought that you and I are so fundamentally disconnected.

Part of me wants to scream out the Counting Crows song we woke up to so many mornings on our CD player alarm clock, 
“I can’t see nothing round here.  Would you catch me if I was falling?  Would you kiss me if I was leaving?  Would you hold me, because I am lonely without you?  I am under the gun around here.” 

I feel infinitely separated.  Maybe you could just tell me you do not hate me.  Give me a token of closure, like in some alternate universe we could be friends.  Tell your family I am not some monster, they seem to think I am.  So when I walk the steps of our porch to greet our daughter, I do not feel like a stranger in Paris struggling to simply purchase bread.

I have been living an eleven-month December.  You married me out of pity for me and yourself.  So as Duritz sang,

“Good night Elizabeth, Good night, Good night Elizabeth.  We couldn’t all be cowboys.  Some of us are clowns.  Some of us are dancers on the midway.  We roam from town to town.  I hope that everybody finds a little flame.  Maybe I should just say my prayers and light myself on fire and walk out on the wire once again.”

Good bye, Ethan

440
Penelope and I were learning how to grow from the separation and be a family in two realms.  I would prepare dinner with Penelope playing in the background of Sam Cooke and Bob Marley.  We would dance in the kitchen with Penelope’s head on my shoulder to “Another Saturday Night” and “Three Little Birds.”  Christmas was coming.  Cooke’s “Chain Gang” was her favorite.

One Saturday I planned part of a day for myself and had my parents pick Penelope up from Ashley’s.  A half-hour later I got a phone call. 
“How many hours will Penelope not be in your care?  You have to give me the opportunity to be with her if you are away for more than six hours?  There is a legal standard.” 
I said, “It’s over, quit playing legal games.  What I do is no longer any of your business.  I trust you to do what you feel is in the best interest of Penelope and I would appreciate the same courtesy.”
“How long?  You have to tell me.”
After about six or seven minutes I hung up.  

441
Penelope and I set up our own six-foot fresh Christmas tree in our rented home.  We made craft and felt ornaments.  We hung the accoutrements to the sounds of Otis Redding, the Avett Brothers, and Sam Cooke.  Penelope loved the “Chain Gang” and the Avett’s Emotionalism album.  I baked Christmas tree cookies.

December 17, 2009, I went to Penelope’s winter solstice celebration at her Montessori school, but it rained.  Everyone was crammed shoulder to shoulder into one pickle-packed room.  I was out on the porch and could not hear or see Penelope.  So I left.  I did not tell Penelope I was coming, but was hoping to surprise her.

Penelope and I made a pinky promise that I would not close the door if when it is time for time-out that Penelope would stay in the room to calm down.  We were growing.  Penelope’s fits were less often, maybe once a month.

After dance class on a Wednesday night I helped Penelope into her car seat.  Penelope looked up and made a wish on a star that mommy and daddy would be together again.  This was the third time I had heard such a verbalized yearning.  After a minute of driving Penelope said, “When mommy gets remarried, I’ll get a new daddy.”  I told Penelope, “I will always be your dad and your mom will always be your mom even if mommy or daddy married somebody different.”  I changed the subject. 

No comments:

Post a Comment