Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Bounce House

The doughy biceps on the other dads in the room sit like spongy bags of marshmallow
You can see the number of car seats they have tethered with latch systems
In their lax frame of jaw and ruffled golf shirts
The acquiescence in the lines of sight link to their wives like leashes
Peeping out permissions on where he can help here, when he can conduct discourse  

The button up short-sleeves of the uncles in the room sans progeny
Is denoted in the circumference of upper-arm displayed
The tight hair, the grin used on Friday and Saturday nights
For sleepovers of the other kinds, gleam in his teeth as he bites into pizza
Ordered for the kids by the birthday-girl’s mother 

Sunday in January, I am at a bounce-house party for the nine-year old friend
Of my own third-grader; this is a daddy weekend
Daughter is off bounding with the inflatables and the Justin Beiber soundtrack
In the warehouse of non-New Orleans bounce 

I am writing in the corner of a fold-out table next to the twenty-two other adults
With my notebook and pen adjacent to my covered Kindle since I was out in public
I am reading my Hitchens, The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for a Non-Believer
The patch on Samuel Clemons’ true thoughts of the life of a Fly is enlightening  

The mothers keep handle on the stack of presents, the obligatory fruit tray to keep conscience
The bags of blue or red Doritos, two-liter lemonades and charcoal-hued Coke
The ice cream and the Kool Aid squeeze pouches and the water for the moms
A grandmother peels the skin of a grape for her progeny’s progeny coming in for rations  

The other adults curb behavior as the underling enters and then exits
I am the only parent to bring my own supplies of thought to get through the two-hour window
Rather than staring at strangers and confetti painted on the concrete walls
I read, I write, occasionally spoke, but all together unconcerned with appearances 

Hour one ends the pack of kids returns for the sugar and grease bounty
The moms had set the purple plates and paper cups in rows which are quickly seated
In sequence of BFF’s and social squawk, one chair is shifted to fit the quiet one
Kids ask kids to spell I cup 

Pizza munched, powered-tortilla chips and then the lights go out to a candle confection
Nine, Nine, Nine, dad bungles the photo as he went to flash after the flame was blown
Darkness and utters excuses to the watching wife 

My kid’s BFF’s mom who knows my kid’s mom better than she knows me asks,
Leaning on the side wall (as I am the only adult still seated on my outpost)
“Did you braid her hair like that? I was going to say, ‘Man that’s pretty good’
I told her that her mother did last Friday.  I did take her to the Mardi Gras parade yesterday with her friend.  I am from there.  She says, “Oh, me too.  My husband is from here though; he’s so scared to go down there.”   

Five minutes earlier the lead-mom came around asking for pizza, her and her adjacent co-stander declined interest.  They were walled-in by two-other moms.  When the space came open, they each snuck over and slid slice to paper-plate.   

Hour-two winds down to a measure of eye contact with my daughter as she is retrieving her shoes after it was socks-only on the inflatables.  The children are dispersing.  I remind her to say her goodbyes.  She gives hugs.  We return to our car.  We talk.   

She asks me if we can go to the library.  I know the library is closed on Sundays.  It is church day where we live.  She wants to get a book about nature. 

I stare at the passing trees on the interstate and introduce the concept of photosynthesis.  I talk about the blueberries from Chile in our refrigerator.  I hold up an ink pen in my right hand and tilt it on a consistent vertical angle and explain the hours of time as our planet revolves around our sun how the intensity of the sunlight hits the northern and southern hemisphere at greater or lesser proportions depending on which part of the revolution our planet is experiencing. 

I am holding on this January. 

No comments:

Post a Comment