Friday, January 18, 2013

Departures and Entry Ways

I could feel the sickness leaving as I slowed my car to the stop sign
The oncoming traffic parading and as I scanned my view
To the For Sale by Owner sign with my phone number
The Sharpie recognized the Long December as January  

Three trucks passed and I pulled out listening to Andre Williams on my stereo
Sometimes one has to let go of winter’s clutch into the cold and not burn so much
Other than the tinder that belongs in the fire, cheers to the burn and then the learn  

I remember rock n’roll radio and all the times you know
The two a.m. talks one has to himself and the pillow
The midnight whispering on the curtains blocks out the certainty
That morning is coming whether one likes the sun, these things will be undone  

Sure as time entwined with the choice of lines one is willing to cross
To bring back the sentiment lost about the backwoods streets
Of rural nomenclature and CAFO-lot meat bought and sold
Singing the envelope folds into old lines, written before the digital-rush times 

Send the feelings off like firecrackers, remembering the walk-a-ways
Staying in the corn fields and leading a revolution with the mice
Raise a sword and stare down the pikes of opposing armies
In the guts of confident men, no matter the limbs, I will begin again  

Breathe out this ghost in my chest, inhale the clearing to digest
Tomorrow with a face, the haze and the portrait is beginning to bear a taste
The gray is a blue is a green and the sand in the glass is in between
What was and what is and I will begin again

No comments:

Post a Comment