Monday, November 11, 2013

The Badges and Medals on my Grandmother’s Wall




The United States of America
To all who shall see these presents, greeting: 
This is to certify that the president of the United States of America authorized by executive order, 
February 4, 1944 The Bronze Star Medal To Private Joseph C. Discharged 37 484 137 Infantry
For meritorious achievement in ground operations against the enemy
Pacific Theater of Operations, during the Northern Solomons Campaign

Given under my hand in the City of Washington this 4th day of August 1964
Signed United States War Office

Followed by four other metal patches connected to fabric:
Purple Star, Asian Pacific Campaign, World War Two, and Efficiency, Honor, Fidelity
Matching the shrapnel that most likely spurred the Alzheimer’s in his blood that
Felled him in his fifties

I have read this framed piece more times than I ever recall speaking to my grandfather
That is to say I never recall speaking to him, knowing only that I have a picture of him
Holding me and transcribed the basics of the above in detail this Veteran’s Day
In doing so I am drawn to a single word: enemy

The other countries, the other men, some which are invariably dead as well
An allotment sooner than his fifty years at the trajectory of his barrel
Honed in the swamps of Louisiana pecking squirrels and quail
As if the bones become indistinguishable  

I don’t know what the Filipinos or Japanese call their Veterans Day, 
Most of the medals left to those islands washed in a typhoon and Katrina’s bigger sister Haiyan
Mocks the gender of death or the idea of an adversary in water  
POW, MIA, blood-cell honor and a flag, victory in zero sum, humanity in a flood

Hitler is the ultimate detour Arian Satan rationalizing the patriotic rabble tears sporting
Joyous Western pride inside the sadness of white blotting white
As brown, yellow, and ivory weld oceans in skin carpets like sail cloths
Sealing submarines tight to keep the pressure of felicitous ceremony in the haughty notion

That if certain men did not stand on lines so that other men did not cross them
Those behind the lines would perish to uncertainty of those who never would
That is to say, I never recall wishing to kill, knowing I have a picture in my mind
Of people thinking I did, do, or will so as the lined-men are necessary honors

Sacrificing for the gentle pull of never knowing the extreme
Of juggling enemies, waving flags, and storm relief and interconnection’s subtle tears

No comments:

Post a Comment