Sunday, August 31, 2014

ASPIE

I have been this my whole life
Whether this had a name or has one
Is independent

Brain is an Asperger’s spectrum poet certified professional accountant
In other words a platypus

The drumroll symptoms of a syndrome:

Lack of eye contact, interpretation of body language, social cues
(I.E. the conundrum of flirting)
All feels fake, sycophantic, small talk, fuck not again
Bullshitting, colloquial banter; throw me in the wood chipper

Let me speak in poetry six leagues deep
Hide in plain sight, analogies and metaphors
Coping mechanisms to find a native current

Adherence to rules, principled like an extreme sport
Didn’t understand even after I got my faced bashed in
And refused to throw a punch; goodbye permanent teeth
Mouth is blockade flipper denture adolescence  

Felt my participation in the world outside my head
Always seemed entirely arbitrary to others
Ant in the hill, no home for me

I remember what I felt like almost any year of my life
Some ASPIE might take to rote memory of maps or factoids
I got ASPIE poet; I sculpt feelings like photographs printed on this paper heart

Sensitivity to environment
Mint, chocolate, bubblegum, never eat or smell, Yuk!
Rubbing alcohol causes Vasovagal reaction
Sleep in complete darkness
Low talker on the phone, “Thank you mam’s”
Please do not casually touch me

I could tell you about any NFL player from 1980 to 2000
Beat any Nintendo game for rent like a rodent in a maze
Every Magic the Gathering card or Simpson’s reference

Pedantic little professor goes off when on track
Silent most of the day
Peer to peer, ha!, at eleven give me an adult
At twenty-five give me dead writers

A lexicon to fill an ocean with notebooks
My favorite gift my mother every gave me was an electronic pocket dictionary
In sixth grade that I still tote daily to work

Alien on the wrong planet
Could not tie my shoes until third grade
Atrocious handwriting, could not manipulate fingers to play a guitar
If Dylan and Springsteen said, “Hey, want to learn?”

ASPIE spectrum did not grab empathy though
I got Superman x-ray vision
I see past the surface see your heart in the depths
Beating at one with the universe

Analyze every piece of stimuli
Between life history, foot position, career choice, habits
Poems on what I am bound to misinterpret will be there in spades digging my grave
Because I’m bluffing like a sweaty champ

But I would rather be a living poem and make you a muse
Than attempt to participate in the normal game, because I am not built to compete on the surface
The emotions go hells deep wandering into a warehouse imagination
To turn the corner and the shelves appear from the darkness like crabs in an oceanic trench

Relationships, huh? In thirty-five years I don’t need two hands to count
Spent lunch in libraries from junior high to college
Reading passing every subject but schoolyard
Selective mutism (Them no, these few everything)

Pragmatism too much work to try
Obsess internal surf poem waves
Nothing feels real but the existential universe found through the self
How many pages?  Text me a note, I’ll send you thirty

Quid pro quo, you know, you know?

Not a disease, no pill, just me
No cure, no standardized test
Just an ASPIE spectrum poet accountant platypus

Saying hello

No comments:

Post a Comment