Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Letters with Sophia Part One

Letters with Sophia, 

The world of the internet is a befuddling landscape.  A while back in a random project of e-publishing I sent a few emails to women interested in writing around the country through a website describing a novel I wrote.  If they were interested I would share, if not I would not and wish them the best.  It was a simple endeavor meant to stay outside adjacent zip codes and accomplish something outside the box.  In doing so I connected with a number of amazing people including a fellow writer from a foreign city.  These are our letters.  The names have been changed to protect reality from the internet, which I have learned is best that the two rarely meet.  


RE:


Hello Pascal,

I nearly forgot about this account, or rather, stopped figuring it. I'm replying to you because we could have a lot in common... And because I came to San Diego from Nola and am moving back next month. 
 
However, I'm not sure if you're serious or if you're just pimping your book. I’ve been in the publishing world, so if you're honest, please forgive my skepticism.

If the former is the case, please email me at randomemail@qmail.com 

Cheers,

Sophia

An email a few days later,
Sophia,
I understand the skepticism.  I would rebuff such correspondence as incredulous at initial review if I were in your shoes.  The combination of a man on such a website and any writer hocking his wares is akin to a tonic salesman in most instances.
My novel is genuine.  It reaches for something universal.  The book is deeply personal for the path that brought me to create it.  I have shared my words via different avenues.  The email I sent you was part of a thought I had that this could be part of that equation. 
I found your profile by attempting to view women who were thinkers and writers, who described themselves in a contemplative manner.  It is a parallel complement that the composition of a woman who would probably enjoy my writing, would probably mirror much of who I am. 
My goal in emailing you and similar women about the book is to share the art I created.  As grandiose as it may sound, I feel compelled to open up the philosophy, the politics, the societal examination, the exploration of the human spirit, the generational issues that we are dealing with in America that have driven through my brain and been processed in this novel. 
I have spent much of my life introspectively and in that I have found the universal.  I do not think the place I have arrived at is rare, but each of us has our own parallel path.  That is the main theme of my novel; that we are all interconnected, but to feel and experience that connection we each recognize and arrive at that nexus via the free will of our individual paths.  I do not mean to get too deep, but from your email it sounds like beneath your skepticism is a desire for a genuine response.
I would like to meet you when you get back to New Orleans.  I agree, it does sound like we could have a lot in common.  The confluence of logistics is a pleasant surprise. 
I will hold off on sending the novel.  The piece is semi-autobiographical fiction for a large portion, as well as a political blog.  If we are to meet, I would prefer you getting to know me rather than an emulsion of fact and fiction forcing you to syphon reality from text.
Here is my number.  (666) 777-2222, Call me when you have had a chance to settle down in town a bit.
Pascal

Based on how Sophia described herself, she was a professional writer, a traveler of Europe, a spiritual woman, an equestrian, a fan of J.D. Salinger and many books.  The tone of her verbiage was clever with a self-acknowledged complex nature. 

Text a month and a half later: Sophia to Pascal
Hi Pascal, this is Sophia- we were emailing about your book.  I’m in town, let me know if you want to grab coffee or wine.
Pascal: I’ve been under the weather, maybe one day next week after work?
Sophia: Sure feel better

Four days later, Pascal calls Sophia in the evening.  Sophia answers and says she is headed out with friends and she will call tomorrow. 

An email a week later, 

Sophia, 

I have not heard from you in the time I expected your correspondence and can ponder the busyness of your schedule to reluctance based on any number of factors. I thought about waiting a few more days to offer you the opportunity to contact me. Then I thought to myself these are thoughts that would bring me and hopefully you some manner of joy in sharing, if for no other reason that sometimes the novel moments of life are sublime.  

I was thinking of this odd manner in which we became slightly aware of each other. The sentiments I currently find myself contemplating are a bit bizarre in their arrangement, yet nevertheless welcoming and deserving of expression at the risk of being misunderstood.  So as with most occasions in life, I would prefer to be effusively forthright and be judged a fool, than to swallow a muted pool of regret.  

I am writing you because I care enough about myself and what I seek to cultivate in my brief time on this Earth to invest my available energies into growing what could be beautiful, could be nothing, or could be a disastrous plague upon histories depending on the sardonic irony of the internet.  

In the debate of that possibility, I know the core of my being goes into my writing to see the world with a unique lens. It certainly is not my totality, but it is integral, deep and constantly leads my mind down fresh corridors. I have spent many hours of my lifetime in quest to invest my time with similar, but not identically fueled-people.  

I am pursuing you. The narrative of your digital self-portrait ignites a potential reciprocal nature to what may fit very well with my own. I owe it to myself to invest in the opportunity with a commensurate level of healthy sincerity, assertiveness, and indulgence. 

After that I can begin to form an opinion if I even like you. I would expect you to do the same. (You may be a closet crazy stalker or really hate books or smash the ice cream cones of small children to the sidewalk when given the opportunity. I don’t know. You may be offended by my covert nerd hobbies, past misdeeds, home-made wall-art or abhor the Clash. Life is a crapshoot. So who knows, but…)
 
I am particular in crafting my life’s journey while remaining humble and cognizant to awe-inspiring choices bestowed in our humanity which most often come in simple packages of circumstance. This might be one of those.  

Most potential dating opportunities are laden with unknown optimistic potential, which leaves one wanting. I prefer the visceral and embroiled storylines of reality, flaws included. I am searching for a real woman, one of substance, capability and graciousness who also sees the world through her own unique lens.  

You came across to me as plugged-in to the greater measures of contemplative human life wanting to set the bar of the discourse and subtleties you share with whomever it is you appear to be seeking at a level commensurate with the weight in which you have invested in yourself.  

I may be mistaken in this inference; surely it does not encompass the description of a woman I have never met. It is but an inferred sentiment full of imprinting or folly, but it is what struck me from reading what you wrote about yourself. I would want you or anyone I meet to be only who she is fair and direct, knowing I do the same kindness.  

I know what I bring to the table and though my knowledge of you is resourced by the precarious foundations of the internet, a proper introduction and dissemination of fact and fiction can be applied quite adequately by meeting face to face and the potential iterations thereafter. I also know that people like me and probably you are scarce in this world, especially in a city the size of New Orleans. 

If you had never emailed or texted me on this possibility, I would be fine and content in my journey. But having considered the opportunity, I would prefer to assert my desire to see this chance through for whatever it may or may not bring. 

For at the risk of appearing complimentary, you seem like you might be worth the trouble. If you’re not I’ll tease you like hell, make you laugh and make the best of my erroneous estimations. If I’m wrong I’ll buy you a Chardonnay and as a last memory you can thrust it my face as long as we are in public and scream as you walk out, “You magnificent bastard. You promised me rainbows! Rainbows!” If I’m right, you owe me a whiskey sour and a smile. 

I thought about texting you or writing something more concise and direct to the effect of, “I am free next Thursday, would you care to still get together?” Perhaps with most other people I would have chosen such a fork. As my initial gut impression of who you might be, I chose another path.  

So if you are still interested, give me a call and we can go from there.

With much kindness,  

Pascal

No comments:

Post a Comment