Monday, February 11, 2013

Endymion 2013 and the Superhero Family

Saturday before Mardi Gras in New Orleans
Endymion rolling two-thousand thirteen
Father and daughter alone together in a house
An hour and a half drive away in the traffic

Packing rations in a green ice chest with no drain
Peanut butter and jelly for her, ham for him
A golden delicious apple remembering not to take a bite
Until we are on the route, in the revelry  

Notebooks to write in her back booster-seat
Eight and a half and Professor Longhair is calling
Soundtrack on the iPod is beckoning to Ulysses
Rolling South 

The traffic is piled on the interstate exit, we make the convoluted
Right hand to go left and u-turn on Carrolton to go south to go north
Make the light and the bodies are stacked with tables and ladders in the neutral ground
The drinks and roasted pigs, fried chickens and remains walk, crawl, honk 

Smiles and mischief, love and beaded pictures of families
Move past the intersection of Orleans and North Carrolton
The turning corner past to find a parking slot
Rolling through neighborhoods sides, left and right are stacked  

No slits, but the breathing holes of driveways, trash cans mark,
‘I own this place here and I am waiting for a family friend
Dare not be a dick and roll this can and take this or break the courtesy code’
That keeps several thousand a block happily obliged  

Daughter and I head down a two-way in Mid City off Bayou St. John
Cars crammed and I pull over in front a driveway as I see another want-to-be parker
In the lane like a jousting opponent, I surrender to the narrow pass,
Only another rushes behind me and the
Constipation ensues for ten minutes of them inching and clogging  

Two behind each and my daughter’s impressions of New Orleans are forming
Yet patience holds, after being the last to exit we loop back cross the bayou
And see a single opening like heaven, we walk out lugging ice chest/kid stool 

March back to that corner blocks away, past the only-over 21 street-bar patios
The Perlis and Polo shirts, the cleavage marketing campaigns, the moms and dads
And moms and dads to be 

I hold her hand at the street corners and tell her to do exactly what I say
Just in case we have to move quickly, because there is a lot going on
She is happy and shielded and more aware and growing past garden district parades 

I find a spot in the first block of the turn in front of a dad dressed like Superman
He is holding fort, his wife is dressed like Wonder Woman, their kid the Flash
Brother is Batman and wife is Cat Woman, son is Robin; I see family. 

We stop and plant our ice chest and sit waiting for the parade in three hours
We make peace and assure the Justice League that it is only us, a dynamic duo
Superman says, “I think it’s all right if you stay; It shouldn’t be a problem.” 

We pull out our cups from the Daddy-daughter Mardi Gras-themed dance at her school
Put in some crackers and munch staring at the roving costumes and men pushing carts of
Stuffed animals and plastic swords other men will be hurling from floats in mere hours for free
She bites into her apple.
 
The super-hero family is more welcoming making conversation,
Admiring my Storyville ‘WWBD’ t shirt and my daughter’s ‘They all asked for Drew’
Batman is from Houston back from Katrina, this is Wonder Woman’s first Mardi Gras 

Daughter and I read some chapter’s from C.S. Lewis’ “The Magician’s Nephew”
Book six in the Narnia series; we finished it the next evening
Before I had to bring her back to her mothers, they have a ski trip planned with her new husband 

The night comes down and the parade lights come on, St. Aug is marching
Beads, doubloons, cups and a stuffed-animal seahorse come our way
I put her extra-throws in my utility belt-latched grocery-bag pouch
I stand her on the ice chest for some, others I mount her on my shoulders 

We wander through the crowd.  She gets a whirling light-up toy.
And a smile I can see in the darkness gleaming.
Last float is six floats hitched together like an amusement park of Pontchartrain Beach
Trying to make the corner at Carrolton and Orleans  

I ask her if she is ready to go, I pick up the ice chest and lead her
Towards getting trapped by police barricades, we turn back to where we were
And venture in front of the stalled float, we weave through the layers of humans
As Journey’s ‘Don’t stop Believin’’ is blaring from the double-decker sound system 

Sorority sisters are swoonin’ and singing along on both sides of the street
We keep pace, daddy is toting the beads and remaining rations
The walk is beating the crows a bit, just her and I, no keeping score 

Past Bayou St. John an old derelict is mumbling on a park bench
We pass about eight feet, he staggers up; I notice and quicken our pace
Crossing the bridge towards the traffic light I look over into my daughter’s eyes
I can see she senses it too; the man coming without her having to say a word
We make the light, he doesn’t. 

In the safety of the other side, we jest he was pacing like a zombie
The uneasy feeling I could no longer hide to her eight-year old self
I tell her maybe he was afraid and just wanted somebody safe to walk with
He saw a girl and her dad and didn’t feel threatened; you never know 

We get back in the car, I hand her a remaining peanut butter and jelly
She bites into the rest of the apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment