Monday, May 26, 2014

A Purple Key on a Countertop

The most malicious of ironies
I pushed you away because I knew there was an illness in me
I was uncertain on if or when I would ever find a cure
To spare you infection I requested solitary

I never stopped loving you
The words resonate

To achieve the isolation I accepted watching my beloved
Ride off to a Lone Star life

This demon in me we have battled
I wished him gone more than anyone

In the nadir of contemplating the apex of what might have been our marriage
A dream cast upon my cradle and I found the sword
To just cut it loose and be dragged down no more

Rising up I search for daylight in your eyes
In the demon’s blood on the blade I see the glimmer or your injury
Reflecting in your love like wine into vinegar for me
Your faith in us withered like huckleberries

I never stopped loving you
All I wanted was a chance to be myself once more
Like a man hindered behind a gargoyle’s mask loving you all the while
Finally shed of stone he sees such pain in you twisted into ambivalence

And into the arms of another
So now I am asked to do the same
I finally have my freedom and I am returned back into a pit
The prior awash in anger; the current heartache

Trying to make sense of the look in your eyes
Of what should matter, what should not
Smashed into my guts you were my person
I went through hell to try to love you and became part devil to get out

I beat the darkness and all I have to show for it is the love that helped me find myself
Does not want a man she has never met

The most malicious of ironies 

No comments:

Post a Comment