Friday, November 30, 2012

Christmas Lights are out Tonight

Christmas Lights are out Tonight 

Tonight was the opening of the Christmas lights
In downtown Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana
There is an extra tax to light the streets
Even the giant light bulb crucifix by the train tracks 

I pick up my daughter from my old house every other Friday now
The porch is draped in the garb of undulating wreaths and herpes sparkle
I go to the side-porch door, knock, no answer, like always I wait 

I sit on the bench that I bought from Home Depot
That was in our New Orleans back yard with the hummingbirds
By the pool Katrina knocked the tree inside and created the mosquito vat 

Three minutes, I sit, my daughter comes to the Dutch door
Opens, “Daddy do you want to come see the puppies?”
I tell her, “You have to ask your mom if it is ok if I come in.”
It’ll be four years this Christmas, daughter is eight 

I walk in seeing walls with altered frames,
My daughter’s nine month old brother is cooing
I am silent at the beige to walk through the hall in that bedroom,
Through the master bath, into that twelve by fourteen closet and see
A box of a chocolate Labrador with a litter of four  

I explain to my daughter why the mother knows
To lick the feces and urine from the puppy’s loins  
Their bellies plump with milk, blind  

I glance at the wardrobe stacks encompassing these foreign rooms
Jackets and pant-suits familiar and not, the mirrors I bought at Hobby Lobby
I see the shower stall on the way out; I grab a third-grade book sack  

Home, I make pasta with sausage, her favorite with glazed carrots
She makes pretend computers out of loose-leaf and markers to play school
She sings a save the ocean song about a mother and her turtles  

We bundled up and go out for seven p.m., park, walk the small town Main Street
Antique shops, a few bars, church folk huddled singing carols
Teenagers squawking by the town alligator in its reptile pen  

I promised her mother last Tuesday, when she asked if she could take her to the downtown Christmas light thing, (because they go every year.)
I responded with, "I’ll call you when we go and you can say hi."

Well I get hijacked and the insanity of nausea permeates
Over the top bleeds in like ricin cotton-candy and arsenic hot-chocolate
Greetings are a festival; every foot a fresh salutation is generated
The spawning of acquaintances is pandemic in her mother’s roots  

The nine month-old is there, stroller, wipes,
Admirers comment how much he looks like his father
How if he turns out half as much like him he’ll be a great man
He is out of town tonight. 
I can see the bystanders do the math in their faces as they glance at me wordless.  

I am standing silent in a winter coat.  My daughter between her mother and I
Time is extending to a greater summation than any point in the last four years
Of a relative equation of daughter, mother and child without the interruption  

Of the man her mother refers to as her dad
As we walk over to his office six minutes later;
He sells insurance across from where she does corporate accounting.
His boss provides refreshments every year on this occasion even for cuckoo birds.  

We go in some lady that use to be around greets her, spots me
For some reason tries to give me a hug and I could smell her gin perfume
I tell her my plans to move to New Orleans are into month nine
She gets her taxes done where I work; I ask her not to tell my boss 

There are others, but I was blessed with leaving the moment at stares
My daughter spots her friend near the back, the kid of the police chief
Whose brother threatened me that time 

The relations are unending; I have neither the time nor energy to explain
The train comes by outside, blowing and blaring
The kids run and fund a game of hide and go seek
In a courtyard at the rear of the establishment 

I stand alone staring at an open bar picnic table
With her mother and the other mother conversing by the rear entrance, ten feet away
I talk to no one, but the night sky, trying not to make eye contact
Thankful I have always been so reticent so that this stance is nowhere near as lonely 

The memories flush; I arrange a departure for my daughter and me to continue alone
Goodbye to mother, the threshold of time a bit like an anvil and a time warp 

Daughter and I walk the parade of shop-fronts
Noticing the window drawing Grinch and Santa’s
I remember the nickname my daughter told me
Her mother’s family gave me during the trial 

Near the very last before return to our car we pass the daiquiri shop
That also sells ice cream I know her maternal grandmother takes her to
She wants mint chocolate chip, but it is past eight-thirty and time to return home
I say no; she whines, protests, negotiates for a fraction, then breaks 

Her tears flow like I have not heard in years, she is angry thumping her hand at me
Demanding, crumpled, I am walking with her for this remainder of Main Street
The people pass, daughter is crying aloud, tears to the car and the whole drive home
Incessant as the Rolling Stones play on my iPod as the sounds collide to my silence 

I exit the garage, light the interior of the house to her bedroom
Return and pick her up, carrying her to her former green rocker sitting in our living room
I rock the eight year old, patting her on the back in reassurance
I am quiet as she continues into minute twelve 

I ask her if she wants some water; she shakes her frown in the affirmative
The whimpers diminish with the sips as I stand in the kitchen holding her in my arms
All sixty-plus pounds of her is carried to her bedroom 

I ask if she wants to wear her Ninja Turtle night shirt, she smiles and
Remembers how we bought it together at Target a few weeks ago
We ready and go to read Chapter Nine of Narnia’s A Horse and His Boy
She is so tired, exhausted midway through, we cuddle  

I ask her, “It’s been a long time since you had your mom and your dad and just you in the same place for that long huh?” “Your family was there.  It is a lot of emotions.” 

“I know, kind of me too.  I remember.” 
She nods and blooms and drifts to reverie in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment