Monday, November 26, 2012

Words Kept

Words Kept 

Promises, I need you like a mail delivery
Even if it was only credit card applications
At least I knew there was something to check for
The element of an expectation that got me through the mornings  

The anticipation like high school when I had a pen pal
And went weeks in between letters before the internet or texts
When humans use to write each other in long-hand with ink pens
I would salivate, see it empty and still hope the next day  

I know how to do the laundry now, fabric softener and bleach
I can dispense and swirl to steam sanitize the bed sheets
In the Kenmore Elite you so wanted us to buy from Sears
I kept what I could knowing the walls were yours 

Rolling for the empty like a true rock and roll song on the radio
Never heard before and danced a thousand beats in the head of dreamers
Exploding into requesting the disc jockey for a favor
To listen to that melody again like a tune not yet nauseating to be designated classic 

Station format change from indie to southern rock, reversion and the
Coercion of Rancid punk fiends for Zeppelin something once renegade and now accepted
Where the hell is Woody Guthrie when you need him?
He’s heard it all, the goodbye to his home, a hobo and a guitar, a step stone in a song 

Promises, I need you like a cigarette even though I have never smoked
I imagine I would crave if I was addicted to any substance but this loam
Scent, the Earth baking within my till, I remember what I thought the soil was
Caskets and peach pits germinating nothing in this ground  

Water and sunshine, repetitive battery licks the alkaline
Hoping for energy to make bread where there is no seed
Circles and portals afterlives and missing hymnals
Science and consciousness, invisible and circumstance  

I would give my left lung for someone to ask me to make a promise
Something to keep to, pure and honest exposing an example
Even if only midnight looks at it; I would have it
Swaddled like a hazy sway drunk on giving that I gave what I could that day 

I would slobber all over myself knowing someone wanted me to come through for them

No comments:

Post a Comment