Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Morning After


Morning After, (sounds in the office sitting at my desk typing 8:30 a.m.)

Came into work this morning
Sixty-plus receptionist Bible thumper from Livingston Parish, Louisiana
On the phone with presumed acquaintance rather than client 

“The only people who voted for him,
Getting money, not working”
Murmurs from other speaker
“That was Katrina wasn’t it?  What are they thinking?” 

Boss, yesterday to me,
“We’ll see tomorrow if we still have to worry about this healthcare thing.”
“Everybody is going to go out of business, can’t afford the taxes.” 
Me, under-the-radar silence, picture of Louis Armstrong on my wall
I kept typing at my keyboard on a spreadsheet

Soccer mom staffer, today to a manger
“I told my husband, where do you want to move to?"
“At least one thing Louisiana helped our gun laws.  So if there is a revolution, you know”
“Or we can now go to Colorado or Washington and get high and just not worry about it.” 

Secretary keeps chatting,
“I prayed.  I’m praying.”

Manager to Soccer Mom,
"I was elk hunting up in Colorado last month.  There were signs everywhere.
We stopped for gas, two, three times, guys said, 'Vote Romney. Vote Romney'"
"Look at land mass.  Look at all the states, only one, three votes each.
Somthing's wrong. You can't tell me they should have that many more."

Conversation trails into
"I know this guy.  He was twenty-five years old.  He has six kids.
"You get so much per kid."
"'Weed grows out of the ground.  It's an herb,' says Colorado Governor"
Both giggle

Nobody stopped by my office to talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment