Friday, July 6, 2012

Implant

Treading on liquid and looking back over the lake
I know I got here but did I walk across or have I sank
To the bottom in a hallucinogenic haze
Puzzling a past in fragments of days

I know I lived them but were they all misplaced
Until now looking in a mirror’s reflection of time on a beach
Sand and the grit of all these broken teeth
Lost ago and replaced implants

False bights too insensitive to detect what might
Be artificial sweeteners and a fractured life
Out there on the water like ice cubes bobbing
Has the solar effect melted the footing?

Lying here broken and wondering
Was there ever there something she could not live without?
Or was I always an accruement to an appendage
Dangling like a bracelet, optional for wardrobe changes?

Was there a space built forever to place a foundation
Insider her caverns of her life’s manifestation
Of a future, a home, a reliable partner to share like a bone
Of her body without which she crumbles

An organic machine grown out instead of constructed
Yet I feel like a jettisoned mechanic’s component
Replaced from a box, pumping on pistons while my
Old self continues to rot, out here on this shoreline
Without knowing the plot.

Yet I know as I stare into the impending show
Of dust and past of grains gone in miniature cyclones of sounds
Waiting on the breeze that one day with my gray hair
And one day where you are not there, but buried deep

I know my tears will not halt to weep for a part of you breathes in me
Even if it’s a place I would rather seethe in anger, bubble out and expel the stranger
Folded up inside my being interlaced with all I’ve seen

My child, my wife, the broken wings of my life
Crippled in a corner, longing for a former shoulder
To cry upon in tandem to have my words have a landing
As if there was some pebble of compassion still left in you
Of hardened love, of elemental proof that one day at one time
You loved me some place outside of mine

So in retrospect I move in sloth
To scavenge the ground for that pebble that I pretend is lost
And as my feet get rooted into this shore, I must implore

It is just another grain of sand, gone slipping through a water gloved hand
Incapable to hold because it has never known a place in real life
Our balance was imbalanced from the beginning
One girl taking and one man giving

Appreciation mystified and where was I to bellow the smoke
And hope the waves of you would wash upon my face
Refresh my faith in all the days I felt taken for granted

For a stepping stone never demands his
Day on top, and so I thought I knew you, love excused you
And know it is melted and I have felt it, your dribbled soul
That there was never much to you when I step away 

No comments:

Post a Comment