Saturday, January 31, 2015

Leash-Must

My mother told me
Gifts are about the pleasure provided to the giver
In seeing the receiver receive
Maybe so, maybe so

I set Christmas on the curb a few years ago
In America the addiction haunts the airwaves
The lobby where I work has twenty-four hour satellite radio
Tuned in Yule

I do not want a damn thing
Not from my mother, my brothers, let alone random friends
I want the opt out
I do not want to answer, “Did you go shopping yet? Tree?”

With an ask-back, “Are you Jewish?”
As if there are two options with this face
Nah, the depression, the suffering, a one-month a year
Five minute accolade to the poor so the nation can splurge

The tickers can rack in black
What to do with the excess?
As if the whole system is set to collapse
With the profits glaring in the Dow

Manufactured wars, religious tax subsidies, and investment bank accounts
Diverting resources so the average standard of living never rises
Above desperation, leave the crowd wanting and they’ll do what you want
Dancing under mistletoe for candy canes and magic vaginas

Dug me out of that snowbank
Don’t want back in
Don’t want the sing-along
Don’t want the garland bound

To my ankles or slipping round my wrists
Dragging me from a sleigh in gravel for a mortgage that cracks the whip
To have an annual practice where the populace marches in line
Get together sing along to keep the power sublime

Rule for a rule newspeak and done
Snow on the ground and fire in the lungs
Snuffed, oligarchy for a muted-majority
Keep in the pew-aisles, Merry leash-must  

No comments:

Post a Comment