Sunday, November 27, 2016

Harvest Time

Thanksgiving, my grandfather required my hand under his arm to step towards the lavatory
Left leg shaking, cane in right, my thirty-eight-year-old stance as brace
He says, “I cannot see.  Point me in the right direction.”
Lead dog for the hunt of a geriatric prostate for that elusive drip of piss

Flabby white thighs, octogenarian-tailored zipper shifted to the right side
For a cardiac-risk male gut bulbous tire rolling and strapped
Like a leashed haggard dog growly rock-toothed and snarling
I will be the death of you

Twist asshole trajectory to bullseye plop-down lowered crane-like
Between my arms to his pulling elastic band briefs off of buttocks
Revealing the lunar light of where we all phase
Huffing, staring at feet, saying, “I should have stayed home.” 

Bring up Saints football, penis hooded by stomach fat
Mission launch failure, no urine, raise spine, button and zipper operation
Hold up pants, help stand, reassemble trousers
Belt the beast to keep to plow

Pace out to the living room, see my father talking about Trump
My dad’s hunting long bow like Odysseus on the wall, made of swamp wood
Old man strength to string, fire through rings, his grandfather’s bull’s horn to blow
To echo off the swamp waters for the Catahoula’s to hunt, when a deer was split

I see his retired hand gripping a coffee cup, standing on the home rock like a cowboy playing Indian
Naming things with white mustached lips under the crucifix doorway, bald
With the gun safe in the closet and the gun safe in the bedroom, the pistol in the pickup truck cab compartment
Conversations like, “I would never go to Chicago.”

Rooted for the cartoon Indians over the Cubs in the World Series in October
Voted red again in November
With my mother, uncles, aunts, cousins, everyone, but my brothers and me
Says, "It used to be simple when I was a kid.  We had men and women’s bathrooms. 

We didn’t have to learn all that.  None of that existed."
There comes a point in growing up where you realize
Your relationship with your parents has transposed
You can no longer speak as if seeking advice or drink from that well of knowledge

The intransigence of what is has calcified into sedimentary silence
Layered and petrified bow is non pliable or malleable to function in a modern world
The digital fairies pilfering daily interface into the way of meat on bodies in motion
The connection between seed to tree to archer to bloody deer to factory to truck to store

To bank accounts trading ones and zeros for Pfizer and Flomax
Into the fossil fuels goading the sun for the life of dancing bees buzzing the sweetness of roses
Circling in a dizzy-head bumble symphony wanting to stand firm in the front door
Letting the impasse clog into a baby boomer colon watching a 1950’s childhood

Grab America by the pussy in 2016
Start a trade war on anti-intellectualism
Obama tolerating water cannons on indigenous protestors in the irony of just above 32 degrees Fahrenheit
In North Dakota because Northern Hemisphere November is just that bit warmer and thus

The whole reason we are here
And do not talk anymore
The horizon of silence has dawned
So I realize I have begun to talk to my father the way we talk to my grandfather

I do not expect him to understand
Me, nor the context, the sphere of the setting, the planet, the economics, the psychological approach
To why humanity is where we are, the leaves have fallen from the oak
Dry acorns pelting the base, waiting for the deer to come to eat

I know he is a man who has planted more trees
Than I probably ever will. 
Lob-loly and long leaf pines, pecan, old hickory
Tax deductions for hunting property and his grandchildren’s college fund in loving timber
More likely forced to shed to qualify for healthcare; I know there is love in his heart, misguided in application

His eyes salivating to string the bow, hungering to harvest
The cycle of herbivores and shaved rocks crafted into arrow heads
Tractor wheels and gasoline, iPhones and internet tree stand surveillance
To track the herd, the outliers and the general health

Seeing the scrawny and wanting the does to get enough clover and nuts
Cultivating trails and pastures, coming inside turning on Fox News
Gripping bullets and Bible pages, judgment of thirty years of Hillary
As if it hasn’t been men like Donald this whole time

The billionaire’s exemption is somehow safer  
Three degrees and novel Nebraska dustbowl revival
Queue Woody Guthrie on the Victrola
Turkey feathers and blaming California

Dipstick the aquifers for parched almond orchards 
Hippy pot and tax coffers, transgender dystopian blues songs
White crosses on the church lawn and I want to smash them all
Robes and court seats, anti-choices reversing mainstream

The only way I can talk to them anymore
Seems to be not talking
To treat my parents as children and pretend the world was always great
Always simple and give up baubles of faith and hope of their aliveness

My father feels a marathon bursting the ribbon upon his chest
Three sons and, three grandchildren, wife, partners for two kids
And in why can’t we just keep our focus here, on family
I do not want to talk. 

His blessed doing of a god
That is dead to me
Instead there is an interconnected energy that I know growth comes from pain
The forest needs to burn

A man on fire attempting to sleep on a sofa
Head throbbing laughing off suicidal ghosts
For longer than I can recollect, but especially now
Part of me has been infected with my parent’s myopic apathy

Drinking this cup is to see their death ferment
And in psychological ladder rung parents die before children
As some ordained expected genial order

The octogenarian asks to return to the restroom
He thinks he has a drip now
Get up again. 
We walk on five legs.

Dad stands munching straddled in the open front door way
Singing, “Imagine there is no bacon.  It is easy if you try.”
Dog walks up from the porch
“Too Late I ate it all” 

No comments:

Post a Comment