Friday, June 7, 2013

Buoy




I can hardly stand; head is bobbing like a buoy
Off the neck, sawed off like a shotgun, half-departed
Fog-filled Monday, morning is pondering the grave of Woody Guthrie
All these papers on my desk could burn into the numb

Nothing left to start the week with, apologies in the bin
Smoked the purpose I had in a fury of strands
Traction, pedal faster, tumor of yesterdays claws in dirt-blood
Forming concrete mixing the dust must

Harden sometime, so I guess this morning is it
Wanted more time, don’t we all, in the end, it is never enough
Mother says, “Son, you think you know everything, but you don’t.”
Son says, “Mama, I don’t, but no one is offering answers?”

Give me a cross and an emaciated wonder-kid baring ribs and souls
Saying look what he did, for me, for us, for all time I see none
I see nothing, feel nothing, sense nothing, and when I did
I look back on it like a highway to a ditch on a drug trip

Hallucinating happiness for a closet case of emperor’s stitching
Oohing and aahing at the fabric until Santa Claus tilts the children’s scales
Another drug, another lie and all I want is truth
Books can be dangerous, but I am still reading

And you can say, “Oh my lord, yes you do.  Son you don’t mean that.”
Tell me to believe and you crush the last part of my heart
Brother, tell me I’d be a horrible therapist, you’re probably right
Never understood a damn-soul in this world, I’m just trying to start and end with me

Somebody has to understand me and rather put my faith in science
Boundless time, concentric universes, thinkers, ration
Then the gut-stripping, mind-ripping realization that God does exist
Never have I pondered a thought so cruel

The powerful ambivalent to the powerless, hungering for justice yet doing nil
I rather shed pursuit of or traditional definition of justice, conclusion as a destination
Rather than a reverberating end in itself, subtract such notions of happiness
As if the self is relevant or even exists in the now

I volley we are as always beyond the limits of volition so that I prefer to see
Life as it is rather than what scroll-writers dictate it to be to appease the succession of kingdoms

Give me no kingdoms; give me no kings
Give me no scale; give me no gilded-rings
Give me no solace; give me no faith
Wipe the illusion of something to look forward to

For the glory of a now, empowered by time disguised as a day
This waking and sleeping, this counting, this waiting, this learning
This feeding, this reproducing, this costumed dance parading around love
Call the ballet of nature, the hull of the ship’s ego an interconnected one

Give me the wage earned and given away, for it is always given
Give me the food grown and fed to the animals, for it is always eaten
Give me the dreams of energetic for doing, for energy is always transferred
Give me the love for truth, for it is true whether witnessed or not

Sometimes I feel like I want to get in a fight
I missed out on the anger of my teenage years
I missed out on the fucking up of my twenties,
I did the fucking up my thirties in my twenties,

I am doing the fucking up of my forties in my thirties now,
And I just want a chance to go back and get those twenties back
Maybe I could have avoided all of this or learned something
Or found something, somebody to watch fail with me

Side by side decay and do we die, the pointlessness wanders through the room
With a name-tag no one reads; I keep searching through all the faces
All I see are faces playing games, fooling their bodies into manufacturing activity
Something to do in the meantime, truncating asking questions, being so declarative

Mother sees me as one of those, as if her son ever uses periods
I’ve been an interrogative since birth and I do not think anyone has ever felt like an answer
Punctuation periods everywhere and all I gather is that periods do not exist
Religion, careers, possessions, traveling, reading, writing, nature’s gaze, music, on and on

None of it will ever be a declarative and it is not meant to be; it can not
I am at peace with that, and so much of my struggle is finding peace with others calling the others
Answers and shutting my mouth as that child standing observing the parade of emperor fashion
I would rather be a disconnected buoy watching it all; anchored to nothing, being inquisitive
To wherever time takes me

No comments:

Post a Comment