Sunday, December 27, 2015

Quotes from The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

I read this book this afternoon before I plan to share it with my tween daughter.  Cancer, love, appreciating the moment, the dangling rationalization of purpose, fairness, capriciousness in life, the mortal coil, fate, god, tasting the tip of the spoon from the pot.

I thought I would share a pair of quotes:

“I can’t talk about our love story, so I will talk about math.  I am not a mathematician, but I know this: There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1.  There’s .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others.  Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million.  Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.  A writer we used to like taught us that.  There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set.  I want more numbers than I’m likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got.  But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity.  I wouldn’t’ trade it for the world.  You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”

“I felt that I owed a debt to the universe that only my attention could repay, and also that I owed a debt to everybody who didn’t get to a be person anymore and everyone who hadn’t gotten to be a person yet.”


No comments:

Post a Comment