Saturday, May 18, 2013

What Viktor Frakyl said



Three months after my father was born as a third child
First a son, a daughter, him, and then spotting
My grandmother was painting in the kitchen with my grandfather
A woman’s place, a man’s work, comingled and then spotting

My grandfather off to work at Celetex factory producing asbestos insulation
After machine guns in the Philippines put shrapnel in his leg
Labor for the day a phone call from his wife
“Get off your feet to bed; I’ll be home after work”

She finished painting the kitchen, first

Permission, roles, my father’s mother in a bathroom 
Flushing three months after my father was born
Forty-eight years old, did not know the blood
Then did know, knew, called the doctor, came that evening

Words a year later grandfather in the car with the tub
Conversation and then the spotting
This time doctor says get a bed pan, use ever time
Looked like a banana in a wrapping

I don’t want you on the pill
Pray the Good Lord
Father would have liked to have five
Never seen a woman so excited to have the procedure

Office visit, talking to the doctor says
1975, Granny says you should talk to my husband
Thirteen years never missed a meeting at the civic association
President refused to acknowledge the perfect attendance, no plaque for tied-tubes

Never knew there was one, let alone two, I think of my own
What other know, what they don’t
My mother’s mother, on an on about the stillborn son, Keith wrecked her will
Always edgy after, father’s mother two-almost unfazed in conversation
Perspective and Victor Frakyl said it was all about attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment