Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Love Poem for May



I miss you love; I am drawn to imagining your face again.
I have put off such indulgences for the months, years, hours,
Stacked like alcoholic anonymous tokens

I feel like a convict getting out of incarceration on occasion
The slow walk to a long escape counting down parole
Visualizing the chain-linked razor wire sliding apart in an aperture
Of light to a highway with a taxi into my New Orleans

The stagger of ordering a hard drink, shaky hand and bodies
Noticing and not for the pace of smelling the honeysuckle on the wrought iron
Fencing where a man gives himself permission to roam
Afterhours and the meandering silences of a packed Frenchmen Street

The trombones blaring, trumpets packing, drums like palpitations
On a rhythm I have been unable to normalize for the months, years, hours
Stacked like slot machine disks in a cup thirsting to be slid into a mouth
Remembering the sight of purple bayou irises burgeoning the lick of yellow

I have ignored the idea of greeting or seating for an endeavor involving coffee spoons
There is altruism in the distance you keep fitted like a sheet behind my preoccupation
With all manner of sidebars in writing of politics, science, God and economics
The shanty-town parlor tricks wade through receding hurricane floods

I remember what it was like in my twenties belly hungry, broken-egg like
Thinking about novelty, virginity, pair-bonding, matrimony, procreating progeny
The buffet was a career of personal achievement served in a tea cup of what I thought to call you
Flavor was condensed like bullion left to disperse in an ocean of soup

The brackish could never mend with the Atlantic; too distant such lovers
Still water, yet the flowers cannot take root in continental currents
Ignoring you has been like living at the beach and never looking at the shoreline
I am beginning to think about glancing, but all the salt still makes my eyes burn,
Stomach nauseous, ear canals sloshy, and the starfish make a paradoxical canopy

I miss you so much and this charade as an accountant, a brother, a father, a writer,
A home-owner, a voter, a grandson, all of it is nothing to pondering the relevance
Of nonexistence, of this hobo life staring at computer monitors, photographs of smiles
The irony of a heart than can sponge leagues of empathy for every emotion
Tome after tome and never once know real love
Knowing in my thirties I still have no idea who you really are

Certainly an amuse bouche in glances, the variety of kinship, children, fellowship,
But you, no, this is a dance of forgetting, which will always bend
If we were to ever look in the eye, I know not to listen to time, she makes promises constantly
How else is the clock to abide, but just once could I have an hour?

The social oxidizes the tin shell, gritty-rust burnt-orange crumbly
Words tumble to the floor mixed with pubic hairs and post-it notes
Scribbles of dates, times, phrases to commit to memory
July rains unforgettable like a song that clings to me

Melodies rolled up in drenched carpets after the levee broke
Watching wrens follow each other on spring lawns landing on lantana bushes
As if they were butterflies, cocoons or eggs, nests as plain packed-together
With the refuse of nature strings, sticks and ornaments of autumn

Love, I will say your name like Voldemort when I read Harry Potter to my daughter on the sofa
Time stuck like peanut butter to the roof of the palate fitting in adult and weekend parenting
Every other time like a sweater for the months, weeks, hours
The haze blurs if this is more Muddy Waters or Nat King Cole

I will give up every vice if I thought it right
I will do every grace if I thought it made the morrow a better stay
I once did wish for heaven to have a gate, to see that love had a blessing’s face
The cloudless is neither black, nor stark, filled with every image to the state

Of matter a mind may contemplate, so it is you are part God to me
As is every non-loving thing, antithesis, antonym, I need not know your name to begin
To love you back, I love the world  

No comments:

Post a Comment