Saturday, February 28, 2015

My iPod on Shuffle List 2/28/2015

Maybe the world has moved to Spotify and Pandora, I haven’t and don’t plan to.  Music is too personal to me to be a rented art.  I want my music all day everyday if it can be in the back or foreground of my life I want it layered, direct, ready on the whim of playlist to shift with my moon from fun, to lonely, to inspired, to angry, to energetic, to Mardi Gras, to pensive, to loving and to flow wherever I go. 
I originally made an My iPod on shuffle list back in April of 2013, it appeared to be based on the hits very popular on the blog.  I would like to update it as it has ballooned from around 11,000 to around 22,000 songs in about two years.  I listen to music all day at work, when I am writing, driving, or hanging.  I don’t want to have to rely on an internet connection. 

My iPod on shuffle is one of my favorite things in the world wishing I could go bigger than 160 GB without the internet involved.   I use it as the foundation to much of my daily artistic life.  I have spent pretty much my entire life alone.  The breadth of my music collection is commensurate with that space of having other voices in that environment so my head doesn’t go bat-shit crazy.   I thought I would continue to share the list with the blog 

This is the complete expanded list of albums on my iPod as of February 2015, which I think is worth listening.  Maybe you might too or if you have not heard them you may be inclined to check some out.  I often listen to music while I write.  This may offer some idea of the universe of musical inspiration I seek.  I have received a few of these records from my two siblings, a lot recently from the public library, but the vast majority of it I have purchased myself.  I tend to spend my resources on art and the spiritual journey many of these musicians have opened has been something well worth the investment.

I am no expert and I am sure many of you know more about these bands than I do, but here is my list with a few thoughts/descriptions of the artists.  Please feel free to comment and suggest other artists you think I might like as I am always hoping to expand my listening experiences.

Enjoy
Hitch-22

My top dozen albums of all time that I enjoy / affected me growing up or in my life revised for 2015 that I actually own, not allowing myself to include compilations or greatest hits collections.  Some it is just when I found that album and where I was in my life.

1.      Operation Ivy – Energy

2.    Bruce Springsteen – The Darkness on the Edge of Town

3.    The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds

4.    The Avett Brothers -I and Love and You

5.    Bob Dylan –Times they are a-changing

6.    The Clash – London Calling

7.    Public Enemy – Fear of a Black Planet

8.    The Ramones – Ramones

9.     Green Day – American Idiot

10.  Nine Inch Nails – The Downward Spiral

11.  Bob Marley -Uprising

12.  Antony and the Johnsons – I am a Bird Now


Please Check out the full lists of albums by genre in the links below which cover about 22,000 songs and 800? albums or so if you like.  (Click on the Rants tab on the blog front page and you can also find them.) I have spent many years finding all these sounds and continue to explore every day.  I enjoy spreading their gospels or at least most of them. Some I use to like or only kind of like, and everybody has their own tastes, but if you like folk/punk/soul/intelligent hip-hop/jazz/New Orleans/rock you will probably find something you did not know existed that you will probably  or do enjoy.  You can see my rankings what albums most and least matters to me Here. Peace

Links:

·         Punk,Ska, Dischord
·         Folk/ Alt Country/Americana
·         Blues
·         NewOrleans / Louisiana
·         HipHop
·         Jazz/ Classic singers
·         Indie
·         African
·         Rock n’ Roll / Metal
·         Soul

Icons: The Clash, Fugazi, Nirvana, The Ramones, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon, Johnny Cash, Paul Simon, Tom Waits, Woody Guthrie, B.B. King, Etta James, Janis Joplin, Lead Belly, Muddy Waters, Ray Charles, Robert Johnson, Allen Toussaint, Fats Domino, Louis Armstrong, Public Enemy, Billie Holiday, Charles Mingus, Dinah Washingon, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughn, Thelonious Monk, Antony and the Johnsons, Davis Bowie, Nine Inch Nails, Talking Heads, Bob Marley, Fela Kuti, The Beatles, Chuck Berry, Pearl Jam, Little Richard, Michael Jackson, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Stevie Wonder 

No comments:

Post a Comment