Saturday, February 28, 2015

From my iPod 2/28/2015: Rock n'Roll/metal

·         A/C D/C – power guitar amplified with the fires of hell yeah [Powerage (1978), Highway to Hell (1979), Flick Of the Switch (1983),  Rock or Bust (2014)]

·         The Beatles – Nothing I could write could possible do the Beatles justice.  I am not a huge Beatles fan, but they are inescapably relevant and influential.  I am pro-John Lennon and I tolerate Paul McCartney. [With The Beatles (1963), Please Please Me (1963), Beatles For Sale (1964), A Hard Day’s Night (1964), Help! (1965), Rubber Soul (1965), Revolver (1966), Magical Mystery Tour (1967), (The White Album (1968), Yellow Submarine (1969), Abbey Road (1969), Let It Be…Naked (1970), Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1973), 1967-1970 (1973), The Beatles Past Masters Vol 1 and 2 (1988)]
·         Chuck Berry – The father of great rock n roll guitar to go with Fats Domino on the piano, Icon [Live at the Fillmore Auditorium (1967), The Definitive Collection (2006)]

·         Eagles – not really my thing either but I once dated a woman who loved fifty year old man music and checked this out, never really took [Desperado (1973), One of These Nights (1975), The Complete Greatest Hits (), Hell Freezes Over Live (1994)]

·         Fleetwood Mac – not really my thing but I can see why people like the different versions of this band.  I haven’t explored too much. [Greatest Hits (1975), Preaching the Blues (), Tusk (1979)]

·         Foo Fighters– never got into them but checked out these at some point, but figured they were probably really good live since so many people like them, I haven’t explored too much either.  [One by One (2002), Greatest Hits (2009)]

·         Guns N’ Roses – Hard rock over the top menace of my junior high years, poppy but snarling, borders on a glam rock thing though that I really abhor, but I still know the lyrics to Right Next Door to Hell and Coma, songs like those are why I loved this band.  [Use Your Illusion 1(1991), Use Your Illusion 2 (1991) Greatest Hits (2004)]

·         Jimi Hendrix – Guitar blues-rock God, Voodoo Child is transcendent [Electric Ladyland (1968), The Ultimate Experience (1993)]

·         Led Zeppelin – Got into them in junior high, classic, jamming guitar, but maybe the defining pure blues-rock band of all time, but like most great blues-rock by white dudes it is all stolen from black folks who did it better; see Rolling Stones as exhibit A, but still greatness, When the Levee Breaks and the Immigrant Song are my favorites.  Jimmy Page could play the fuck out of guitar though. Bonham was an amazing drummer. [Box Set Discs 1 to 4 (1990), Mothership (2007)]

·         Metallica – The heavy metal band of power guitar and raw aggression, first cassette I ever got was Kill ‘em all, started me with metal everything else followed, when I heard hit the lights my life changed.  [Kill ‘Em All (1983), Ride The Lightning (1984), Master of Puppets (1985), …And Justice For All (1988), Metallica (1991), Death Magnetic (2008), Through the Never: Music from the Motion Picture (2013), [I had others and their live shit box set from Mexico City, but they got stolen, by some bastard.]]

·         Neil Young – Canadian folk rock father figure, I have not explored much, hard for me to really get despite enjoying the genre. [After the Goldrush (1970), Prairie Wind (2005), Living With War (2006), le Noise (2010), A Treasure (2011), Psychedelic Pill (2012), A Letter Home (2014)]

·         Pantera – furious stomping heavy metal of agro-wail [Cowboys from Hell (1990), Vulgar Display of Poer (1992), Far Beyond Driven (1994), The Great Southern Trendkill (1996), Offical Live Prrof (1997) Reinventing Steel (2000), The Very Best of Pantera (2003)]

·         Pearl Jam – The evolution of Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/Neil Young.  The defining rock band of my generation that left commercial fame and said this band is not for you, we are going to be us and I love you, but fuck promotion we are going to do it our way.  I respect the hell out that and have enjoyed them from the beginning to date. Icons [Ten (1991), Versus (1993), Vitatology (1994), No Code (1996), Yield (1998), Bianural (2000), Riot Act (2002), Lost Dogs (2003), Rearviewmirror: Greatest Hits (2004), Live Chicago 5/17/2006, Live New York City 6/5/2008, Backspacer (2009), Pearl Jam Twenty Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (2011), Live At the Orpheum Theater (), Lightning Bolt (2013)]

·         Queen – stadium rock champions with an operatic theatrical flare that only Freddie Mercury could have put on stage at the time he did, Also Wayne’s World, yes Wayne’s World [Icon (2013), Queen Forever (2014)]

·         The Rolling Stones – Not a big fan, but they have such a presence when they finally put out a comprehensive anthology for cheap I bought it, and started to get into them.  I am not a Beatles guy or a Stones guy, I am a Bob Dylan/Springsteen/Woody Guthrie guy in case you couldn’t tell.  Sex rock was popularized by the Stones, Jagger is a superstar, but this is really just stolen blues and soul music from black artists at its roots, which the band openly accepts and takes their own way, which at times I find good, but not as great as a lot of other people that make the Stones so popular with most people. Exile on Mainstreet is a great record  [Let It Bleed (1969) Exile on Mainstreet (1972), Some Girls (1978), The Singles 1971-2006 (2011),  Grrr! (2012)]

·         Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – American rock, not my favorite but I got this to check out the scope of his career.  I keep waiting for him to say something meaningful and I rarely hear it.  [The Live Anthology 4 discs ()]


·         U2 – not a huge fan either, but I respect the humanitarian themes and actions of this band.  I first triggered interest after the Music Rising connection to New Orleans after Katrina with their work related to that with Green Day, but I also have the live recording from the Superdome which is amazing.  With or without you is a great love song.  I probably need to explore more.  [October (1981), War (1983), The Joshua Tree (1987), 18 Singles (2006), Songs of Innocence (2014)] 

             Link back to main page of iPod Links

No comments:

Post a Comment