Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Rice Patties as September Ends



I saw what my father’s eyes looked like staring at death ten years before I was born
My younger brother sat in a hospital emergency ward behind walls monitored by doctors
Thought about by my parents and me
Mother on her way to the social worker’s office

Father stares back at me saying I did not want to go to Vietnam
Tears seeping, shaking, glaring tangential to me as if back in time of a high school bedroom
Thinking about the effects of smoking marijuana, music, and a life with my mother
Juxtaposed and a way out from Agent Orange and the Viet Cong gong

Sounding off in an electrical apprenticeship, hard wiring for hard work
Three kids later and almost forty years and leaking out in a waiting room
Death peeking at the obliteration of my existence through my father out in a rice patty
Like his father seeing the man next to him shot to death in the Philippines

Grandpa was feeding a machine-gun ammunition, now slipping behind the barrel
To make non-existent other men’s children, as if the bullets were anti-spermatozoa
Canceling out family trees like Monsanto round-up to the roots to complement
The defoliation pumping up a stock-price in the tangerine-dream skies

Shifting the cellular make-up of gonads and prisms of the Purple Heart hanging on my grandmother’s wall
And my father’s father dead at fifty from the metal-shrapnel in his body leaching into Alzheimer’s
Wandering around Westwego Louisiana searching for apples in a drugstore with the pharmacist
Calling my grandmother, “Joe’s over here again.” And she says, “Thanks for getting that for me.”

As she loads him back not knowing the word of what to call the price a man pays for his country
Flag over the casket and my father the third to pall-bear the class that he did not have to go
He did not have to go and so, we are here in this waiting room as lives attempt to consume
Tomorrows borrowed from another’s choices, the universe speaking in the whispers

Of just how quickly the wind can call a boy to say he is seventy-seven years old
Depending on how one is counting or today is October 31st or December 25th
To know the moment when you thought, you thought you had time to see the sunrise part
The nights of dreams of becoming husband, father and living further than the older

No man should have to watch his son be laid to dust, screaming inward and the hallows eve is numb  
The words retreat into lucid thought that time is melting into a thaw
Certitude that a man must find sufficient rest to do sufficient work
Provider, farmer, writer, painter, singer hands on the wire, the pen, the brush, the string

Generations telling the I and love and you of uncertainty shining as September ends

No comments:

Post a Comment